Silicone on rubber washers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This week I'm fitting a shower enclosure in our ensuite, Just wondered if the pro's use silicone when fitting the waste trap on?

I've heard its used on rubber washers and I've also heard it's not needed.

Thinking about it why have the washer at all if you're going to smear silicone all over it?

Tray: Mira Flight.

Sponsored Links
Defo no silicone, just wet it a bit if you find it hart to move when dry.

Interesting, are you saying that plumbers who use silicone when fitting bath traps, basin wastes, shower wastes are doing it wrong?

Will it have more chance of leaking with the silicone, why do some MI's say to use it?

For some reson I feel like a Trebor mint, I cant think why. :?:

Sponsored Links
Interesting, are you saying that plumbers who use silicone when fitting bath traps, basin wastes, shower wastes are doing it wrong?

Will it have more chance of leaking with the silicone, why do some MI's say to use it?

Which MI's tell you to use it??

When you tighten it the washers deforms and slides. Properly aligned you shouldn't use anything ;)

Which MI's tell you to use it??

When you tighten it the washers deforms and slides. Properly aligned you shouldn't use anything ;)

I'm sure when I've been fitting wastes I've seen the instructions say to use a bead of silicone when fitting together.

Don't get me wrong I'd prefer not to use it.

Never, ever use silicone on rubber washers! Its as bad as pouring gravy on a rhubarb crumble.

I only ever use it (silicone grease) barring unions on bbu servicing, on the threads of pump valves. Never the washer though!

I can undo most pumps unions by hand if they fail 5, 10 or 15 years later - as long as it was me who installed the pump.

Paul

As a DIY'er I have a few plumbing books, I've got one here and it shows a picture of a rubber washer being bedded on silicone.

JTL level 2 page 317.

I'm thinking back to when our bath dripped from the waste when it was emptied, the rubber washer underneath just couldn't make a seal against the 'pitted' fibreglass. I used silicone there and it worked.

Ah pushfit, for some reason I read it as posh feet. :D

Some of you seem to be talking about silicone setting sealant.

Others about silicone grease!

Tony

i have talked to a lot of plumber's and it's one of the fav. tricks they have is to use silicone sealant on waste's and even trap threads :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back