Siliconing with wet tools... Is this no longer done??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Today, I was about to silicone my customers showertray, when he shoved under my nose an article in the paper about mouldy silicone. Apparantly, the advice now is to apply and finish silicone with dry tools and not to use wet tools. I was a bit stumped as to what to do next and told him that if he wants me to do it dry, I will have to pop back with the dry tool that was mentioned in the article. ( The Fugi ).

Has any one else heard of this?? Is it now accepted practice to not use wet tools whilst siliconing??

Sponsored Links
It is the silicone with determines if mould grows, not the tools used to finish it.

What is the basis of the article - can you provide a reference. Is it based on proven research, or just marketing from a particular dry-tool manufacturer?

really? First i heard. I was told its when people use there finger the silicon reacts with the grease on your finger.

Whatever cleaning fluid I use to clean the area would remove any grease on my fingers.
Never used a Fugi but I've seen the video before now and they do look good.

Sponsored Links
Just looked up this fugi thing and it turns out i have owned one for a year or 2. And i dont like it! I found it very messy and slow to work with. I only use it on difficult areas now with the aid of masking tape. I suppose its o.k on small areas like a shower tray but when using on long runs of 2 meters plus the silicone builds up fast and smears off the edge.

Hello again. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasnt heard of this. The article was in the Sunday Telegraph. They have a chap called Jeff Howell who does an advice column called 'On The Level'. I have searched the website to see if it was repeated, but it wasnt. I have the actual paper on my lap now.

This reminds me of a few years ago when Anderson placed adverts in the trade press about the 'dangers' and 'health risks' of using bitumen based DPC.

It caused a right stir and lots of wasted time in risk assessments and concern, and all it was about was Anderson trying to promote their new range of DPCs

They were/are a right bunch of (w)bankers for doing that to try and make a few quid

I'm sure Dow Corning would have something to say to Jeff 'Know it all' Howell.
Those journalists are normally in the pocket of some supplier/manufacturer anyway

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/property/main.jhtml?xml=/property/2007/04/17/pask117.xml]Telegraph[/url] said:
...Mould in the bath

Q. The sealants I use around baths and showers all seem to be covered with black mould within a few months of application. I have tried various brands of acrylic and silicone sealants, which claim to have "superior mould resistance", but after a time black spots appear. Is there a truly mould-resistant sealant or any other solution to this problem? KM, Sunderland

A. Sealants that manufacturers claim to be mould-resistant incorporate one or more fungicidal chemicals, but in such low concentrations that the sealants are not subject to the Control of Pesticides Regulations (which would impose restrictions on their sale and use).

So their fungicidal properties are limited to start with, and it is also accepted that fungicides have a high vapour pressure which means that they evaporate quickly. Therefore it is unlikely that any type of bath sealant will have an effective fungicidal component after a month or two of being applied. If you read the instructions on the packaging, you will notice that the manufacturers do not claim any kind of timescale for their alleged mould resistance.

Moulds will germinate and grow on any surface if the temperature and humidity conditions are suitable. Bathrooms provide the ideal conditions, and the only way to ensure a mould-free bathroom or shower room is to provide much higher levels of heating and ventilation than most people are prepared to countenance.

Silicone sealant seems to be an ideal platform for black mould growth. Some experts suggest that the problem is exacerbated by the common practice of using a wet finger, or a tool dipped in soapy water, to smooth off the sealant when it is applied, since this moisture is absorbed into the surface of the sealant as it cures, allowing for rapid mould growth.

So the current thinking is to avoid wet smoothing methods and to use a dry smoothing tool such as the Fugi (from Cramer UK, 01934 713377). If you already have mould-stained silicone sealant, try a hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner such as HG mould spray (available from tile shops and plumbers' merchants)...
:?:

Most decent silicone sealants cure by reacting with water (either atmospheric or from your finger) releasing ethanoic acid vapour, hence the vinegary smell. Water ins't absorped by the silicone 'cos oddly enough silcone sealants repel water.

Its probably all down to someone taking exception to having to work behind a window fitter and standing in his trail of gob! :mad:

so the fungicidal elements evaporate quickly, but the gob doesnt. absolute load of old tosh.

p.s. bet he earns 10p for every tool sold.

grrinc said:
Hello again. Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who hasnt heard of this. The article was in the Sunday Telegraph. They have a chap called Jeff Howell who does an advice column called 'On The Level'. I have searched the website to see if it was repeated, but it wasnt. I have the actual paper on my lap now.

This is probably the same guy that wrote an article stating that the Water Companies are obliged by Ofwat to repair a leak on your property free of charge if they haven't done one before...

Had some fun conversations with people quoting that at me at 10pm demanding I get one of our plumbers there that night...

...our free repairs are done as a goodwill gesture (as a non-emergency service) which Ofwat praises us for. There is no obligation for Water Co's to do any private repairs. This one lady was going to sue us and complain to her MP because "it said in the Telegraph..."

Had to point out that Water Co policies are approved by regulators and based on statutory reponsibilities. Threatened to take us to court for incompetence and breach of responsibility (yeah, I've never heard of that one before either) until I pointed out that "Madam, The Daily Telegraph is not a legally binding document"

So the current thinking is to avoid wet smoothing methods and to use a dry smoothing tool such as the Fugi (from Cramer UK, 01934 713377). If you already have mould-stained silicone sealant, try a hydrogen peroxide-based cleaner such as HG mould spray (available from tile shops and plumbers' merchants)...

But if you really want to avoid mould/mildew in your bathroom - don't use any water in it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back