Silly season

DP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Silly season is upon us as days get shorter and driver turn their lights AND FOGLIGHTS on. Have even seen police cars with foglights on on a clear night.

Sponsored Links
DP said:
Silly season is upon us as days get shorter and driver turn their lights AND FOGLIGHTS on. Have even seen police cars with foglights on on a clear night.

We had this last winter, maybe they are drivi :LOL: ng lights.

Had prats drive at me last year with fog lights AND full beam lights on.

Perhaps car manufacturers should do more to seperate the functions, for example:

A 2 stage switch on the dash for side and headlights, with "headlights" written above it.

And a totally seperate single stage switch on the dash for foglights, front and rear together (i cant think of a time when one is needed without the other), again, with "FOGlights" written above it. Interlock this switch, so it cannot be activated unless the headlight switch is on dipped beam.

This should be a standard, then it can be taught clearly during driving lessons, and there is no excuse for "not realising" (though i know ignorance is no reason to break the law).

The lever where the head and fog switches used to live would then simply be full beam and indicators (where fitted)

I think it is the location and combination of switches that confuses many drivers, these simpletons who drive Jags and read papers while driving for instance. And those who photograph them. I digress. The hyroglyphic symbols on said switches dont help either.

Sponsored Links
Yes. Our mate Jim reckoned his Merc had drving lights - I think not.

You're right. They're warning lights! Watch out, I'm a total wnaker who thinks he's being ultra-cool by driving round with sidelights & front fogs.

Trouble is, it's catching. More and more are doing it, from middle-aged businessmen to 30-something Mums.

And because there has been a slight drop over the last few decades in the numbers of traffic cops patrolling our streets (coupled with a feeling that they have bigger fish to fry) means that people are getting away with it.

I must admit I use mine when driving down narrow country lanes. They give me extra illumination immediately in front of me, whilst still being able to see the light splash of an oncoming vehicle round a bend.

I only ever use them when it is properly dark and I'm in rural lanes though, not much need for them on motorways or A roads...

The front fog alignment :-
...To the front and so aimed that the upper edge of the beam is, as near as practicable, 3 per cent below the horizontal when the vehicle is at its kerbside weight and has a weight of 75 kg on the driver's seat...
No minimum height off ground - max of 1200mm

For the 'dipped beam'
500mm min dist off ground max 1200mm.
(i) If the dipped-beam headlamp bears an approval mark its aim shall be set so that the horizontal part of the cut-off of the beam pattern is inclined downwards as indicated by the vehicle manufacturer in a marking on the vehicle, as mentioned in sub-paragraph 12(b) or, where no such marking is provided-

(A) 1.3 per cent if the height of the centre of the headlamp is not more than 850 mm above the ground, or

(B) 2 per cent if the height of the centre of the headlamp is more than 850 mm above the ground;

Correct me if I am wrong, but with correctly set lighting, on a generally level road, how can front fogs be more blinding to oncomers than dipped headlights? They have a minimum of 50% greater angle below the horizontal ( the closer to the road the quicker the wide flat fog light upper beam 'cut off' meets the road for a given angle.)
Perhaps the dazzlers are either on an up slope of an undulating road and / or have umpteen zillion Watts stashed in the boot, which tends to lift the front end... :D :D

I reckon this separates the fog light from the driving lamp / main beam
(a) Every main-beam headlamp shall be so constructed that the light emitted therefrom-

(i) can be deflected at the will of the driver to become a dipped beam, or

(ii) can be extinguished by the operation of a device which at the same time either-

(A) causes the lamp to emit a dipped beam, or

(B) causes another lamp to emit a dipped beam.

Our big spots of the past were dutifully installed to be usable only when main headlamp beams were in use and to extinguish when the dip beam was actioned... Unliss they were the superior 'dipping Cibies'...
:cool:

empip said:
Correct me if I am wrong, but with correctly set lighting....

this perhaps is the main problem. how many people check their lights and their respective settings.

i check my main beam lights everytime i use them. i know what the normal beam looks like and if its off balance i can see it instantly.

i have not used my front or rear fog lights in approx 7 years, yet i see plenty of people who have and leave them on the next day......makes you wonder if they ever look at their dashboard. :rolleyes: the slightest bit of fog and the uneducated and brainwashed masses switch on everything they have :rolleyes:

if i see a car coming towards me with fog lights on trying to look cool i switch on everything i have and put on full beam to make my point.

if i see a car with only sidelights on in any circumstance they also get everything i have....... mostly boy tawts trying to look cool in corsas. :LOL:

Been out shopping today, lots of people out there think they must be front rain lights, not front fog lights.

Sponsored Links
Back