The Highway Code ain't so dumb...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You know that bit in the Highway Code that says "Flashing headlights means 'I am coming through'"? And you know how most people use it as a signal meaning completely the opposite? I found out that the Highway Code is definitely right on this one...

Driving home the other night, on a dark road, someone was driving towards me with mainbeams and foglights on (pr*ck). As he came closer, rounded a bend and was then facing right at me, the lights started to dazzle me. So I flashed my lights at him. Because I was momentarily dazzled, I hadn't noticed that the person behind him was now indicating to turn right. They saw my flashing, assumed I was letting them through and pulled across my path. Stupid of them to assume this, seeing as I was right on him by now and driving at 40mph (had slowed down due to dazzling), with no-one behind me, but people assume too much. :mad:

Luckily because one of the three people on that road could drive adequately (i.e. myself) there was no accident, but if I hadn't been able to brake in time, or had been going 2mph faster, then it would have been messy.

So, perhaps if people were forced to revise the Highway Code by way of a theory test every year, then this kind of thing would be drilled into them? They would see flashing lights and wouldn't think "Durrrrr, they must be letting me through durrrrrrr!", in fact the first guy wouldn't have been driving with football pitch floodlights on the front of his car. And when the police pull you there is no "I didn't know" excuse. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
AdamW said:
You know that bit in the Highway Code that says "Flashing headlights means 'I am coming through'"?
I thought flashing your headlights is to let the the driver know you're there not to let the car pass as we do !
Driving home the other night, on a dark road, someone was driving towards me with mainbeams and foglights on (pr*ck). As he came closer, rounded a bend and was then facing right at me, the lights started to dazzle me. So I flashed my lights at him.
I was taught that if you're blinded or can't see then you must stop.

Mind you, long time since I've read the highway code :eek:

masona said:
I thought flashing your headlights is to let the the driver know you're there not to let the car pass as we do !

ditto - and the same with the horn (pardon :eek: )

is it me or do these newer cars have brighter lights these days?? i thought somebody the other day had their main beam on so i flashed them - imagine my surprise when they flashed me.... and half of yorkshire back!!!

and don't get me started on these lights that look blue/red/pink in the rear-view (And we're talking BMWs Et al. here not the emergency services)

pet gripe finished for today

H/Code free at http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/00.shtml
90: Flashing headlights. Only flash your headlights to let other road users know that you are there. Do not flash your headlights in an attempt to intimidate other road users.

91: If another driver flashes his headlights never assume that it is a signal to go. Use your own judgement and proceed carefully.

92: The horn. Use only while your vehicle is moving and you need to warn other road users of your presence. Never sound your horn aggressively. You MUST NOT use your horn
while stationary on the road
when driving in a built up area between the hours of 11.30 pm and 7.00 am
except when another vehicle poses a danger.
Law CUR reg 99

Sponsored Links
masona said:
I was taught that if you're blinded or can't see then you must stop.

Mind you, long time since I've read the highway code :eek:

and driving at 40mph (had slowed down due to dazzling)

Would have carried on to a stop if he hadn't gone past by that time... was definitely mainbeams too.

Yes, you are still taught to stop if someone is dazzling you.

don't get me started on these lights

It is amazing how much contention lights can cause on cars. You have those who drive grey cars with no headlights in grey weather (so they are virtually invisible) at one extreme, and those who drive with xenon Class-4 lasers poking out the front of the car at the other extreme. I find that my eyes feel hot when looking at some headlights too... worrying!

I saw an oldish car coming towards me yesterday, the lights were much better due to the lower brightness. I could see the car perfectly well, but the reduced glare made it far more comfortable on the eyes and was probably safer because I could see everything else better. Not just two white squares coming towards me. :LOL:

.....I saw an oldish car coming towards me yesterday, the lights were much better due to the lower brightness. I could see the car perfectly well, but the reduced glare made it far more comfortable on the eyes and was probably safer because I could see everything else better. Not just two white squares coming towards me...

Spot ;) on, lights, in some cases are just too powerful for the purpose !

Mo-bikes on full beam.
Milk and other delivery vehicles parked facing oncoming traffic with full beam ...
Both instances above can be counter productive dazzling even in daylight !!
:mad:

pipme said:

You would think milk-floats would be conserving batteries as much as possible! :LOL:

We still have an electric milkfloat that comes round here at 2:30am, thought they had died out with the advent of supermarket milk.

Adam, you probably won't like what i'm going to say about your original post but you were wrong on two counts.
Firstly, if dazzled by headlights you should immediately slow down as you are unable to see the road ahead properly.
Secondly, you should not flash your headlamps in annoyance of being dazzled as it can and did indeed be taken as a signal to another motorist.
Hopefully the offending motorist will be taken to task about his headlights whether by being stopped by traffic police or if applicable at the MOT

kendor said:
Adam, you probably won't like what i'm going to say about your original post but you were wrong on two counts.

You are right Kendor, but I will quote my first post: :LOL:

driving at 40mph (had slowed down due to dazzling)

See, I was in the process of slowing down.:cool:

Would have carried on to a stop if he hadn't gone past by that time

By the time I had got down to 40 he was heading past, so the dazzling was over before I got to a stop. In 6 years of driving I have had to come to a complete stop only once due to dazzling, wonder what the average is? :D

And with the motorist who thought I was letting them through, well if someone was coming towards you at 40mph would you pull right across their nose flashing or no flashing? Especially when there are no cars behind them? It is a heck of a risk to assume flashing headlights always means "Go on, I'll let you through", especially seeing as large bumps in the road sometimes gives the appearance of headlight-flashing in the dark (especially speedbumps, but speed isn't really an issue there!).

It just made me think about how there are so many regulations that seem silly and counter-intuitive, but there must be reasons for them.

I understand your reasoning Adam but in the eyes of the Law you would be at fault aswell had there been an accident.

AdamW said:
[

And with the motorist who thought I was letting them through, well if someone was coming towards you at 40mph would you pull right across their nose flashing or no flashing? .............

There you go, you are asking him to think of two things at the same time, presuming that he was not a member of the "oh, must talk on my mobile phone at the same time" brigade, his first thought is to turn to his right, there, you've blown his options, he cannot now possibly think about assessing your speed as well!
Remember, exchange driving licence for brain, then build up the grey matter by experience and common sense - just some of us assume we can do it quickly.

Sponsored Links
Back