pet hate continues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Adam brought another of my pet hates up on a thread in cars...

AdamW said:
(how many times have you been overtaking a dawdler on a country lane who then puts his foot down to try and stop you getting past?)

I hate it when this happens. Some people deliberately drive slowly and revel in your annoyance, then when you overtake they try and stop you.

The highway code disallows this behaviour, but do they care?

Then when you stop at the lights, the geezer (invariably, but have had a few women) gets out and rants that you are the idiot driver. Yeah, right!

Sponsored Links
My pet hate is the ****s who pull up at the traffic lights at night and sit there with their foot on the bloody brake pedal. Two brake lights and a high level l.e.d. brake light glaring into my face. Makes me see red !! (pun deliberate ;) )

he who lives by the blade shall die by the blade
trying to annoy other drivers by putting your rear fog lights on to indicate there front fog lights are on is a bit silly,..
just pull your handbrake up hard that should sort out all of the lights for good..
good luck./

Sponsored Links
punchjoshua said:
he who lives by the blade shall die by the blade
trying to annoy other drivers by putting your rear fog lights on to indicate there front fog lights are on is a bit silly,..
just pull your handbrake up hard that should sort out all of the lights for good..
good luck./
:LOL: :LOL:

you should get a blue strobe and put it at the back window. when some a******* is behind you, put it on and signal them to pull over. drive away.

"Max Power" magazine tried this (are they still around? I haven't read it in nearly 10 years), apparently it worked quite well! People see blue flashers behind a radiator grille (I know, not the rear window) and 99% of the time will pull over.

However, worth remembering that you will get in a lot of trouble if caught... I haven't seen any "blue strobe" cameras yet though, so little chance you would get caught ;) Thermo, what is a typical result for someone convicted of impersonating a policeman at the moment?

I would never try it, being a pedantic "policeman-of-the-world" type of person, I wouldn't want to break the law... a paradox, no? :LOL:

People who cant be bothered to signal when they enter and leave roundabouts! :evil:

People who drive round in a car with a hat on ( eh?, whats that about ?). Most of the time they remembered their hat but forgot to switch the brain on.

I had a friend in Brighton about 5 years ago who was a DJ and used to drive around at night with a red revolving beacon on top of his car. People did get out of his way, but he did eventually get into trouble for it. I can't remember how badly - possibly just a fine and a ticking off. What could you be accused of impersonating with a red flashing beacon?

ninebob said:
I had a friend in Brighton about 5 years ago who was a DJ and used to drive around at night with a red revolving beacon on top of his car. People did get out of his way, but he did eventually get into trouble for it. I can't remember how badly - possibly just a fine and a ticking off. What could you be accused of impersonating with a red flashing beacon?
Maybe a lady of the night who can't make her mind up whether she's working or not ??

ninebob said:

Colour of light shown by lamps and reflectors
11. (1) No vehicle shall be fitted with a lamp which is capable of showing a red light to the front, except-
(a) a red and white chequered domed lamp, or a red and white segmented mast-mounted warning beacon, fitted to a fire service control vehicle and intended for use at the scene of an emergency; ........

The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989

This seems to sort the red beacon ... Mistaken for fire service control vehicle at the scene of an emergency ?? :D

Anyway there is a handy link to the real vehicle lighting regs...
;)

next time you overtake mr pratt and he speeds up to annoy you make sure your name is mr schumacher and you're driving a red ferrari.not mr button as he will just crash into the wall that 90% of other drivers avoided. :LOL:

ninebob said:

There is a Fiat Punto around here that does this. Good to know that when (not if) he gets caught speeding with this, then he is going to get into a lot more trouble than if he is just caught speeding: it's only a matter of time!

I was the object of someone else's hatred yesterday: my phone rang, no-one was behind me so I stopped to answer it, right by the kerb on an empty residential street, with left indicator on, and a good 100m from the nearest turning. The few cars that appeared during my call just drove around but one woman had a blob-strop and sat there with hand on horn. :LOL: I think she was in a hurry to get home because the other two rag-ragers in the car had burned their hands (they were waving them up and down in such a fashion). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

AdamW said:
my phone rang, no-one was behind me so I stopped to answer it, right by the kerb on an empty residential street, with left indicator on, and a good 100m from the nearest turning.
Still an offence, sonny jim! You can't take a non-handsfree call with the engine running, and you can't have had the LH indicator on unless it was!

My Alfasud used to indicate with the ign off......

I have been involved in two "situations" recently, and both arose because of a misunderstanding about the prevailing limit.

One where the limit was 40, and a flat-capped fckr was doing 25, so (safe, of course, I'm doing advanced driving now!) I overtook. He immediately swerved over to the right and floored it.

When we got to the next junction, I was turning left, he straight on. His angelic looking 85+ yo wife wound down the window and released a stream of foul language that would have made an Anglo Saxon blush.

Funny thing was, she absolutely insisted the limit was 30.

The second was where I dared overtake a young girl, again in a 40.

She tailed me wherever I went, so I led her to the local nick and stopped outside. She stormed out of her car, rapped on my window and exclaimed "How DARE you overtake me!! WTF did you think you were doing? Isn't 30 fast enough for you, a/hole?"

A copper came out and asked her what the problem was. To cut a long story short, she ws arrested for swearing at him...

People do take great offence when overtaken.I don't know why, but they get very angry, and then get dangerous - driving badly etc.

I can hear you saying "so why do it?" Well, why not? I don't want to be held to ransome by an unreasonably slow driver. Besides, part of the advanced driving is to "make progress" and take full (legal) advantage of any opportunities that arise.

Sponsored Links
Back