Silverline Tools?

Sponsored Links
Ive now stopped selling anything from Silverline other than the BSW spanners. I did get a few sheets of wet and dry the other week,a big mistake,scratched the car paint to bits. The 1200 grade is like emery paper and the whole lot has now gone in the bin.
To be fair the biggest return issue I had over the years was with Laser tools,they supplied a load of deep whitworth sockets that were absolutely useless and fitted nothing. Like most Laser stuff it was a cheap far eastern copy of someone elses product but this time they'd got the sizes all wrong. After a load of hassle returning the goods to Laser who took ages to refund and dealing with customers legitimate complaints I closed our account (that we had for some years) with laser. The simple truth is that people buy junk tools,anything thats cheap from ebay or anyone else whos prepared to sell it,I've had enough and am selling all my stock to enjoy my retirement.

Their 1/2 inch kitchen worktop router bit has maximum 11,000 rpm stamped on it, useless for its intended purpose; I didn't even risk trying it out.

To be fair the Silverline deep socket has worked well in removing wheel nuts, so all a bit hit and miss, but mostly miss by the look of it.

Blup

What's the point of a £25 Jig if you waste numerous £60 table tops finding out the male and female do not marry correctly, rubbish.

All that effort and cost to produce package and ship the rubbish product, only to be used by the purchaser to produce yet more rubbish.

What a waste of everyone's time and money ...

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
"Recognised and trusted throughout the UK and Europe, our products are quality checked to ensure we deliver tools that comply with the very latest standards in quality and safety."

The CE mark is often self-certified.

https://cemarking.net/ce-self-certification/

It isn't however an indicator of quality.

A few years ago I discovered that the early Festool Plug-It plugs would unscrew themselves in normal usage, there-by exposing the live and neutral wires. I contacted Festool and was pretty much told that I was making things up ("It is not possible").

I then rang various HM gov departments to complain about the fact that it had a CE mark even though it clearly shouldn't. No one cared, they weren't interested in questioning the validity of the self certification.

Out of desperation, I eventually contacted the trading standards dept that covered the area where Minden, the festool importer were based. TS staff walked into their warehouse and without the need for spanners, unscrewed the connection.

Festool pulled the product and resorted to non-serviceable moulded Plug-It connections. As a Festool "fan" I wish they had safe but serviceable connector...

Anywho, anecdotes aside, never assume that standards compliant products are really standards compliant.

The simple truth is that people buy junk tools,anything thats cheap from ebay or anyone else whos prepared to sell it,I've had enough and am selling all my stock to enjoy my retirement.

You have a valid point. I am happy to pay a premium for tools that make me money but I groan when I walk into a merchant's and I am only given the option of buying crap.

I might be tempted to buy a rubbish one-time-only use tool but experience tells me that if I am doing work out-side of my comfort zone, I am better off paying a bit more for something that I can use more than once and which will allow me to do a better job in the first place.

Good luck with the retirement.

Businesses that sell crap I am sure have a far bigger turn over of customers, and that doesn't work long term ... how long can the likes of Silverline continue to pedal such tat ... doubt there is an unlimited queue of lemmings ...

Interesting point about Festool and CE certification, Festool a company at the other end of the spectrum ...

You have a valid point. I am happy to pay a premium for tools that make me money but I groan when I walk into a merchant's and I am only given the option of buying crap.

I might be tempted to buy a rubbish one-time-only use tool but experience tells me that if I am doing work out-side of my comfort zone, I am better off paying a bit more for something that I can use more than once and which will allow me to do a better job in the first place.

Good luck with the retirement.
Thanks for the comment,I've plenty of work to do on my cars so retirement is more a diversion of effort.
I still have,and use some tools I bought during my apprenticeship,King Dick,Elora,Britool (the proper Britool not the new imported version) and Gedore. I doubt much of the Silverline stuff would last through a tea break let alone a working life.

Businesses that sell crap I am sure have a far bigger turn over of customers, and that doesn't work long term ... how long can the likes of Silverline continue to pedal such tat ... doubt there is an unlimited queue of lemmings ...

I guess that a DIYer knows no better, and there are a lot of them out there. In many cases the DIY sheds sell lower quality products at a price higher than a proper independent merchant.

Apropos Festool. At the risk of pandering to racial stereo types, I suspect that they were too "German" to believe that there could be a fault. They had set the connections using what they assumed was the correct torque. Perhaps they didn't take into account heat/expansion. It was clearly a genuine error on their behalf but it is regrettable that they didn't have a proper "complaints" department and I hadn't want to "grass" them up.

Nevertheless, I am still happy to pay top dollar for their products (but not in a Cult of Apple type way, if they, Festool, make mistakes I will pursue the appropriate channels rather than becoming myopic to any faults).

Thanks for the comment,I've plenty of work to do on my cars so retirement is more a diversion of effort.
I still have,and use some tools I bought during my apprenticeship,King Dick,Elora,Britool (the proper Britool not the new imported version) and Gedore. I doubt much of the Silverline stuff would last through a tea break let alone a working life.

King Dick, is he related to Ben Dover?

*Sorry for lowering the tone*

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back