Simple jobs that can cause grief!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On my Christmas holidays and happy I have a few days with out simple jobs causing unnessesary grief.
A few of my top ones...

Opening a socket to find three cables coming through one hole with no grommets and trying to get one on.

Plasterboard boxes with tabs that side back when you try to fasten plate on.

Try to remove socket and screw turns but does not loosen plate.

Hanging any light fitting that is metal, but the manufacturers consider it class 2

Getting a 'hook on and slide up' ceiling rose to fit tight to the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Mine is setting up for the new year portable appliance testing :mad:
I have managed to wipe all of the data out of my PAT tester and the thing just won't download from my PC, it will upload to it though :confused:
PAT 4 DVF/3 with megger download manager and powersuite pro lite if anyone has any clues :)

Plasterboard boxes with tabs that side back when you try to fasten plate on.

I normally place a small dob of R391 compound behind the lug to stop it moving about if its proving troublesome to get the screw to catch

Try to remove socket and screw turns but does not loosen plate.

Apply some forward pressure to the socket as you are unscrewing it and it normally will unscrew. when refitting if the lug looks stripped ; first tap the lug back a bit so it is pointing towards the back of the box slightly, then re-thread it so the retreader is actually hitting the lug at an angle this will give more metal there, then re-attach socket using a fresh screw

Mine is swapping a socket and line and neutral other side to each other on replacement and cables will not reach as coming in from one side. I hate using through crimps inside a socket box.

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard fixings that just go round and round.

Earth terminal screws on metal back boxes that just go round and round.

Wires cut too short.

Fault finding when the earth wires have beem twisted together and/or sleeved with just one sleeve.

Accessories painted upto, so removal is difficult.

wickes own brand sockets where the terminal bits just fall out, the screws fall out of the terminals, the terminals won't take 3 x 2.5mm, and they come with cross head screws so I can't line up the screw heads on all the sockets in the room.

oh, and when the emergency light suddenly cuts out after 2 hours but it takes 3 hours to move tails over.

:oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back