Simple question regarding cooker isolators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Simple question - can a cooker isolator switch be within an adjacent cupboard or does it have to be visible ie on the wall next to the cooker?

Sponsored Links
Well, there is no requirement for a local isolator so it doesn't matter where you put it.

However, if you consider it desirable to have one for emergency switching then it should be readily accessible for the purpose.

Unless they now make them with MF terminals inside, wherever it goes it has to be "accessible".

Thanks. I have a new induction hob, electric oven and extractor coming...just trying to get my head around what plugs into what in the new kitchen (planning stage)

Sponsored Links
The hob won't plug into anything.

The oven might well not.

The extractor really should not.

I had this argument with the council electricians when they fitted a disabled kitchen for my mother, I wanted simple cooker connection units only on the wall, the kitchen was supplied from it's own dedicated consumer unit in the kitchen next to the back door, so one step from oven, two steps from hob and on exist route to switch off supplies, however they insisted of fitting cooker isolator and FCU on the wall even when dedicated supplies from the consumer unit in the same room.

Also you have to reach over the hob to reach the switched FCU and isolator, so really no point in fitting them. There is a requirement to have an isolator within sight of motors, but not items like ovens and hobs, with the old eye level grill type cooker it was considered you should have an isolator as if you have a fire you can't access the cooker control knobs as they are directly above the rings, some induction hobs have the knobs at the side, I would consider in that case you want an isolator, the same with silly touch controls there is nothing positive to switch/turn off.

Putting the switch or isolator where it will take longer to access the switch or isolator than go to the consumer unit is pointless, in the old days of fuses then we could not really safely turn off one circuit, but with MCB's it is easy to switch off a circuit at the consumer unit.

However we are talking about design, and the person who designed has to sign to say he designed it on the installation certificate, so however ever much I felt the FCU and isolator was pointless, it was not my call, it was up to the electrician signing the paperwork, so the FCU and isolator were fitted. So in real terms we can't answer your question, the only person who can answer the question is the person who is going to sign the paperwork.

so however ever much I felt the FCU and isolator was pointless, it was not my call, it was up to the electrician signing the paperwork, so the FCU and isolator were fitted.
You could have escalated it.

Complained to all and sundry, up the chain. Reported the actions to the District Auditor as a wasting money. Local radio/press. Opposition councillors. Prospective councillors with a platform of cutting waste.

None of it would have changed what you got, but all the fuss might have given someone pause to think, and that was what lay at the root of what they did - the electrician(s) refused to think.

Also you have to reach over the hob to reach the switched FCU and isolator, so really no point in fitting them.

That's against both guidance and common sense.

You have a chip pan fire and you go to switch it off....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back