Cooker Isolation switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would putting an extra isolation switch between the cooker connection unit and the cooker need any form of notification etc. the original circuit in the wall will not need any alteration, the switch would be mounted in the adjacent base unit. Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Would putting an extra isolation switch between the cooker connection unit and the cooker need any form of notification etc. the original circuit in the wall will not need any alteration, the switch would be mounted in the adjacent base unit.
No, provided it is easily accessible, but Why?

Thanks for quick reply, mum has early signs of some sort of dementia, social worker wants cooker switching off permanently, but that is going to make it very difficult for family members helping with meals. So i've suggested a lockable switch (was thinking an industrial type rotary isolator and padlock, hence hiding it in a cupboard)

Would putting an extra isolation switch between the cooker connection unit and the cooker need any form of notification etc. the original circuit in the wall will not need any alteration, the switch would be mounted in the adjacent base unit.
The isolator as mentioned will require to be easily accessible and any additional cable that is not mechanically protected, if buried within wall less than 50mm, will require 30mA RCD protection if not already offered to existing circuit, these cables will also need to be routed within the permitted safe zones.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques:walls
and any chases made within walls will be required to comply to Part A of building regulations.
Horizontal Chase: No greater than 1/6th depth of skin/leaf of wall.
Vertical Chase: No greater than 1/3rd of depth of skin/leaf of wall.

Sponsored Links
mum has early signs of some sort of dementia, social worker wants cooker switching off permanently, but that is going to make it very difficult for family members helping with meals. So i've suggested a lockable switch (was thinking an industrial type rotary isolator and padlock, hence hiding it in a cupboard)
You could consider locking off at the breaker at the consumer unit, if the cooker has it's own dedicated circuit.
http://www.mcblockoff.co.uk/
images of lock offs

I have considered locking off the breaker, but on occasions it will be a carer helping with meals, I know some people are not keen on anything electrical and might not be happy fiddling inside consumer unit, so not sure if it would be a good idea (although it would be the easiest solution)

They would not be fiddling inside the consumer unit, merely removing lock off and closing the MCB and visa-versa.

That would be the issue regarding the rating of the appliance.
The lockable 20A DP isolator is easily available, not come across anything of this type rated higher though.

They would not be fiddling inside the consumer unit, merely removing lock off and closing the MCB and visa-versa.
I can understand andy's point. For example, irrational though it is, it's next-to-impossible to persuade my wife to go anywhere near a CU, and I'm sure that would include removing a lock-off. As others have said, there are plenty of alternative strategies available.

Kind Regards, John

I can understand andy's point. For example, irrational though it is, it's next-to-impossible to persuade my wife to go anywhere near a CU, and I'm sure that would include removing a lock-off. As others have said, there are plenty of alternative strategies available.
I also understand andy's point, it's a fear that a lot have, but not that much difference to locking on/off and isolating at any other point.
I suppose in context and ease of instalment, an external isolator near the CU would be logical.
I have similar problem with my wife, she wont go near the washing!

Or put your lockable switch next to the CU.

A lockable switch next to the CU would not be easy, it is quite a new build flat with the meter and mains fuse recessed in the outside wall, and the CU recessed above but on the inside wall, all wiring hidden in wall. Thanks for the suggestion though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back