Cooker Isolation switch

If the cooker has a flying lead from a cooker connection unit(a connector fitted between the isolator & the cooker) to the cooker then you could just break into it & fit this type of isolator http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-metal-clad-20a-double-pole-key-switch/29973 in the cupboard as you have said you would like to do as long as the cooker was not rated higher than the switch allows

I'm not sure of the cooker rating, but it is an older style freestanding cooker on a 32A breaker, I'll check the rating,
This is similar to my suggestion in my opening post although I was going to use the rotary isolator switch which was the only lockable switch I could find with a higher rating. The fixed wiring already in place would not be touched just break into the "flying lead"
Thanks for your reply

Sponsored Links
They would not be fiddling inside the consumer unit, merely removing lock off and closing the MCB and visa-versa.
I can understand andy's point. For example, irrational though it is, it's next-to-impossible to persuade my wife to go anywhere near a CU, and I'm sure that would include removing a lock-off. As others have said, there are plenty of alternative strategies available.

Kind Regards, John

John explained better than me, some people don't like touching the CU even to reset a breaker

How about something like

http://www.alzproducts.co.uk/socketsafe-lockable-plug-cover.html

It's intended for sockets but I strongly suspect it would work just as well on a cooker switch.

Something like this was one of our first thoughts, although after reading on Dementia forums it allows the possibility of accidentally being locked in the ON position, which could make matters worse in event of an emergency. The item you linked to seemed to be used for preventing items being turned OFF Thanks for your comments though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back