single door way through a cavity wall that was old gable end

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have moved into a house that has had a two storey extension to one side. I would like put a single doorway through what would have been the old side of the house which is of cavity contruction so that I can create a new ensuite area to the bedroom. My Qs are:
- can I put a concrete or steel lintel into each skin or do I need to put a single lintel that supports both cavities?
- what type of lintel is best for this type of application? Would I need a catnic and if so how would I insert in the space?
- I was hoping to cut out a space sufficient to take the lintel (inc 150mm either side for support) above the finished height of the door liner on one side of the cavity, bed in the lintel, let it set and then remove the brick below. Repeat the process for the outer skin?
- the old gable end will be above the area where I would like to cut the new doorway into.

thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
In about 95% of first floor, standard doorway sized knock-outs, a pair of concrete 75mm x 100mm p.c.c. (pre-cast concrete) lintels will do the job.

One (individual) concrete lintel for each leaf of masonry

not sure how to use this forum yet :( - thanks noseall - would i need to support the wall in anyway joists are running paralell to the gable end or could i just cut out

In about 95% of first floor, standard doorway sized knock-outs, a pair of concrete 75mm x 100mm p.c.c. (pre-cast concrete) lintels will do the job.

One (individual) concrete lintel for each leaf of masonry

Would I need to support the gable in anyway, joist run parallel to the wall I am putting the doorway into, or could I just cut out? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unlikely.

A doorway sized knockout requires about a 1.2m sized lintel slot. This would allow a very small triangle of masonry to fall should gravity or mass allow it to.

Just be sympathetic to the masonry you are removing. Brickwork is fairly stable and self arching. Blockwork can be less predictable.

Use a drill and stitch drill the opening out and stitch the lintel bearing also. By this i mean weaken your intended cut out line by drilling a lot of holes on this line with a decent drill.

Unlikely.

A doorway sized knockout requires about a 1.2m sized lintel slot. This would allow a very small triangle of masonry to fall should gravity or mass allow it to.

Just be sympathetic to the masonry you are removing. Brickwork is fairly stable and self arching. Blockwork can be less predictable.

Use a drill and stitch drill the opening out and stitch the lintel bearing also. By this i mean weaken your intended cut out line by drilling a lot of holes on this line with a decent drill.

Thanks again makes sense - what would be the cost of doing this via a builder just so I can weigh up my options?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back