single garage build steel lintel advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good morning not sure this is the correct area but this is my first post so please tell me if there is a better area for it!

im just starting a build on a single storey attached garage and have realised that to get the opening size I want, I need to forget the brick pillar next to existing wall and look at putting a steel across instead.
my question is can this be a lintel type or does it have to be a "proper" steel?

the garage is quite thin and the opening will only be 2m wide, it will have a sloped 20 degree roof and brickwork above but that's it.

if you need any more info please ask- any help is appreciated!

Sponsored Links
2000 wide? No chance of going wider?(would make it more attractive to buyers if/when you come to sell.

Presumably you're doing this as permitted development- have you checked that it is pd & you have pd rights (some modern estates have no pd rights, some areas of the country are under Article 4 directives and have none.
At 2000 span then yes a fabricated lintel will be fine. How big- depends onwhats above it. Is it just carrying a gable end or are the roof rafters sitting on it?

PS This is the wrong forum, it should be in Building.

I’ll be following this post with interest, hopefully you can add details in the projects section.

I have a driveway down the side of my semi about 8 feet wide and was thinking about building what you describe. Not to house a car just for storage that looks nicer than a shed.

good luck with the build

Sponsored Links
good morning not sure this is the correct area but this is my first post so please tell me if there is a better area for it!

im just starting a build on a single storey attached garage and have realised that to get the opening size I want, I need to forget the brick pillar next to existing wall and look at putting a steel across instead.
my question is can this be a lintel type or does it have to be a "proper" steel?

the garage is quite thin and the opening will only be 2m wide, it will have a sloped 20 degree roof and brickwork above but that's it.

if you need any more info please ask- any help is appreciated!
A proprietary steel lintel will deal with a 2m opening, yes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back