Single oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I know there seem to have been several post regarding single overns and how to supply them and i note from these that i'm able to simply plug my new single over into a 13a socket (also recommneded in the instructions)

My question relates to the location of that socket ie does it have to be above worktop level for accessibility or can it be located below cabinet in any way shape or form ie with an access point in an ajoining base unit for access?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
In a kitchen, a very good way to arrange your outlets is in a horizontal row above the worktop. The cables run horizontally between them. This is very economical in labour and materials.

For appliances below the counter, you can fit a 20A DP switch in the row, feeding an unswitched 13A single socket directly below. You can have a neon on the switch if you like. If the purpose of the switch is not immediately obvious, apply a durable label - it may need to be switched off in an emergency. For hobs and cookers, the switch should be to one side, so that you do not have to lean over e.g. a burning chip pan or smoking oven to turn it off.

Regulations apply to electrical work in kitchens and bathrooms in England and Wales.

Thanks JohnD

The reason behind my question is that there is already a double socket beneath the worktop and just to the left of where the single oven is going to be located.

So i does appear that i'm able to simply plug the oven into and properly lable the socket itself?

Thanks

Yes, but it is a pity the switch is below the worktop so not visible. Make sure it is accessible. It would be an advantage to have a label above the worktop so that people will know where to find the switch for servicing or in an emergency.

Sponsored Links
All switches in this scenario must be easy to access and labelled so that any appliance can be isolated in an emergency. Placing them inside cupboards is not considered good practice. Building Regulations advise that switches, sockets etc, are always fixed to the fabric of the building.

the socket is an existing socket attached to the wall in the usual fashion. my meaning was whether is was ok to have and access hatch (for want of a better word) in the back of the cupboard to be able to get to the socket?

rad_pete said:
the socket is an existing socket attached to the wall in the usual fashion. my meaning was whether is was ok to have and access hatch (for want of a better word) in the back of the cupboard to be able to get to the socket?
this is the furthest from accessible i can think of. its hidden. too hidden. When the wife sets fire to it, what's she gonna do? turn it off? no, she cant find the switch. sooo . . . . :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back