single phase load off 3 phase wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can a single phase dishwasher run off the supply which used to power a 3 phase dishwasher? and if so what extra cost would be involved.

Sponsored Links
Cost of a qualified electrician to connect the supply to a suitable connector or socket.

If there is a neutral present, and the supply is big enough, then yes.

There will be no difference in cost between using an existing TP supply or an existing SP supply.

If there is no neutral present it is a bit more complicated, but an electrician should be able to reconfigure the wiring to accomodate it.

Yeh,
Just don't do as one of my customers did,,

L to Red
N to Blue
E to Yellow

BANG!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Just incase you didn't realise, nozspark is not suggesting that you should ever do that, as it would be incredibly dangerous, and would destroy your appliance :eek: :eek:

I know, but I just wanted to make sure.

Would be a pretty impressive bang though :LOL:

Would be a pretty impressive bang though :LOL:

I would have loved to have been there, but I was only called to pick up the pieces...:evil: :evil:

While I was kneeling on the stainless (commercial kitchen) worktop, his Viamarana snuck in stood behind me and barked. I papped myself as I felt the bark rather than hearing it :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seems like the bark wasn't the only thing you felt!! :LOL:
Bet an earth strap round your wrist or ankle wouldn't have saved you then? :LOL:

The frigging thing would have swllowed me whole (and I'm not small), so if the earth was for pulling me out then it might have helped!! ;) ;)

Thanks for the info. I not intending doing it myself, but am I correct in assuming the electrician will just put the 3 live phases into the single phase live terminal.

No,
Your electrician will connect to one of the phases, neutral and earth.

If you do not have a neutral at the connection point then you will need one, so it could be a rewire of the circuit or just adding a neutral,,,, or you might be lucky and have one already..

was standing outside our companies substation chatting to someone when the 600A busbar decided it was time to quit existing..
needless to say my sphincter clenched just a little bit as I jumped about 30 feet straight up...

vapourised about 6 inches 2 busbars and about a 5 inch semi-circle of the steel chamber they were in..

found a mouse rather charred in the bottom that we suspected to be the culprit..

Can a single phase dishwasher run off the supply which used to power a 3 phase dishwasher? and if so what extra cost would be involved.

A single phase dishwasher is likely to take more load on one phase than the 3 phase one did, so the cable may not be big enough.

Is it a commercial dishwasher.
A single phase dishwasher is likely to take more load on one phase than the 3 phase one did, so the cable may not be big enough.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back