Single Skin Block Shed Piers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I am building a single skin shed in the garden 5m x 3m and have a question about wall piers. Am I right in thinking the 5m back wall will need 1 pier in the centre?

With regard to the 5m front wall, there will be 2m wide entrance at one end for a roller door. Will I need to put piers either side of the door or can the roller just be attached to the back of the single skin. In the space to the side of the door there will be a window.

On one of the sides I am considering a small single door in the centre of the wall. Again would this door need piers?

Any advice on piers required on this build greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
I am building a single skin shed in the garden 5m x 3m and have a question about wall piers. Am I right in thinking the 5m back wall will need 1 pier in the centre?
Not necessarily what with the stability from the sides.

With regard to the 5m front wall, there will be 2m wide entrance at one end for a roller door. Will I need to put piers either side of the door or can the roller just be attached to the back of the single skin. In the space to the side of the door there will be a window.

On one of the sides I am considering a small single door in the centre of the wall. Again would this door need piers?
Both sets of doors will need the masonry bulking up/thickening for stability.

Both sets of doors will need the masonry bulking up/thickening for stability.
[/QUOTE]
Assume by bulking up, you are suggesting piers either side of both doorways or did you mean another method

Sponsored Links
Thanks to Noseall for your helpful advice. Couple of other questions

1, There will be one row of blocks and a flat roof above the door and window. What size concrete lintel would you reccomend above the door which is 1.8m wide? I was thinking 2.4m Long to allow 300 bearing either side but what thickness/depth would be appropriate?

2, As there are piers either side of the door, would you put in two lintels to match the depth of the piers above the door. Or would you just put one pier on outside and just the single skin above the door. Realise this is probobly aesthetics but not sure what is normal practice?

Cheers

Google 'Approved Document A (Structure)' and download it.
On pages 32-34, there are diagrams for single-skin buildings which show you where piers are advised, plus maximum lengths etc.

For shorter spans :whistle:
Of course :rolleyes:! Come to think of it, I have seen a few 2.1m lintels on front single doors and toilet windows, and one over a serving hatch.

Thanks for solving that mystery. (y) Now what's your view on who shot JFK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back