Single Skin Garage, internal insulation and board options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks to this place and some sound advice my new detached garage has just started smoothly.

7.5mx 4m (Limit for BR) and flat roof construction keeping below 2.5m in height to avoid planning permission. Single skin with piers at door openings and or mid span (although brickie has suggested he might add a couple)

Everything is detailed apart from the internal insulation, i didnt think i could afford to fit out the bare structure but it seems my budget might stretch a little.

I was hoping i could battern the walls (Question on depth, 50mm?) and then use something along the lines of foam backed plasterboard (Thermoboard?) to insulate the walls.

I dont want to skim the internal walls if i can help it, as its a garage and i`m bound to get oil/grease up the walls.

I`m opening up the floor to options here, is there a product that i could use to insulate the walls to a good standard and then also provide me with a neat finish (wipe clean would be great).

Almost like a foam backed plastic sheet? or am i better off sticking to 50mm kingspan with duplex plasterboard and leave it unfinished?

Any ideas guys?

Also do i need to consider vapour barriers in this situation, on the inside of the cold brickwork?

Sponsored Links
The duplex board will offer a vapour check, as will thermaline.
www.insulation.kingspan.com/uk/pdf/k18.pdf
I'd always plaster finish the the plasterboards, specially considering it is being installed in area area where a few knocks can occur, the plaster will help protect the boards from damage.
And coat with an oil/grease resistant paint, something acrylic maybe?

Insulating a garage?

Surely then it is a workshop or something more elaborate.....? :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back