single skin garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to build a 22ft by 18ft shed right at the back of the garden out of concrete 100mm 7N blocks

Would single skin be ok, providing it had pillars along the way???

Sponsored Links

how far apart should the pillars be?

was thinking of making pillars on the corners then 2 on the longer side (needed for garage door anyway, 1 each on the shorter sides, and then 2 on the othe longer side.

whatstyle should be used to build the pillars?

Sponsored Links
yes less than 30sqm

less than 3m high flat or 4m h apex

must be less than half the garden

and 1m away from bounderys[this may only apply to inflamable structures!!!]

no overnight accomodation

and more than x feet away from the public highway[dont know the exact amount!!!]

yes less than 30sqm

less than 3m high flat or 4m h apex

must be less than half the garden

and 1m away from bounderys[this may only apply to inflamable structures!!!]

no overnight accomodation

and more than x feet away from the public highway[dont know the exact amount!!!]

1. will prob be about 3.5m tall tops with apex
2. will be about 1/4 of the garden
3. about 15m away from hose, and 1m away either side from neighbouring fences

Will measure it all up and see what the floor area is

whats the best method to lay blocks for pillars to create most support?

I'd put piers at 2/3 centres on the long side and mid-point on the short side. And/or each side of a doorway. No need for ones in the corners.

Easiest is to have the pier as one block - ie 110 x 440 and don't bond them with ties, but tie them in properly - two blocks flat on alternate courses.

Its important to ensure that the walls are properly braced by the roof timbers to make a rigid structure

I'd put piers at 2/3 centres on the long side and mid-point on the short side. And/or each side of a doorway. No need for ones in the corners.

Easiest is to have the pier as one block - ie 110 x 440 and don't bond them with ties, but tie them in properly - two blocks flat on alternate courses.

Its important to ensure that the walls are properly braced by the roof timbers to make a rigid structure

thanks

just to clarify any pics of how to do piers?

Hi Guys, sorry to hijack the thread,but, I am in the same situation really.

Situation: I am in the process of moving to another house and it has an existing 5m x 3m asbestos/cement garage.

The garden is approx 9 Mts wide, leaving 6m x 5m for a new single breeze 7n block workshop. This is up to the 30 sq/m planning requirement size.

The garage is 11m from the house wall. The whole workshop will not exceed 1/2 of the size of the garden.

Question: If I replace the garage with a brick one, would this increase the size of the whole project to 45 sq/m ? Or is it just the new building that is taken into consideration.

Would a concrete base be sufficient, if so, how thick. Or would it be best to put foundations in and build on them ?

Regards

Nick - Hull

i am in the same boat also, all i need to know is how deep to dig the footings ect.

we may need a bigger boat.

rks_boat_in_jpn.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back