Single skin light weight block and masonary hangers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are going to be upgrading an existing out building which is sigle skin (brick rendered) the existing walls have to stay and be insulated internally i was thinking of using rigid insulation with plasterboard attached.
The existing flat roof is to be replaced including joists and we are going to raise the walls by 400-500mm to acheive the required head room internally, our architect has specified light weight 100mm block so as not to place to much additional weight on the existing foundations and for ease but are we going to be able to fix masonary hangers from light weight block especially if the hangers are not in a mortar joint?
The foot print of the building is appx 3mX9m.

Sponsored Links
We are going to be upgrading an existing out building which is sigle skin (brick rendered) the existing walls have to stay and be insulated internally i was thinking of using rigid insulation with plasterboard attached.
The existing flat roof is to be replaced including joists and we are going to raise the walls by 400-500mm to acheive the required head room internally, our architect has specified light weight 100mm block so as not to place to much additional weight on the existing foundations and for ease but are we going to be able to fix masonary hangers from light weight block especially if the hangers are not in a mortar joint?
The foot print of the building is appx 3mX9m.

Why not build in the joists instead of hanging them.

Why not do as jm2000 says or arrange the masonry so that you can use build-in hangers.

Otherwise, there is no reason to suggest gaining a decent fixing into lightweight blocks will be difficult.

Why not do as jm2000 says or arrange the masonry so that you can use build-in hangers.

Otherwise, there is no reason to suggest gaining a decent fixing into lightweight blocks will be difficult.

Yes..i had to use 140mm thermolite block on 1 skin of my integral garage.
I put built in hangers. but really wish i had built them in and not used the thermolite block.
And before anyone says.. i have said i dont like using thermolite...your quite right..i have 2 large cracks in that wall...thats why.

Sponsored Links
if its a flat roof you could build the joists into the blockwork

Thanks chaps some good ideas there, sometimes i can't see the trees for the woods or whatever the saying is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back