Single Skin Wall Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I’ve been scouring these forums for information on various projects for a while. They’ve really helped me out on several occasions – thanks! Now I’m after some advice. It’s my first post so please be gentle. I’m aiming to internally insulate the 3 external walls on the back bedroom of my Victorian Terraced house. Currently the walls are single skin brick, internally plastered and externally rendered.

Ideally I’d use insulation backed plaster board such as Kingspan K17 or K18 (50mm +12.5mm) however the budget is tight and it looks like it will be several hundred pounds cheaper if I insulate with 50mm Celotex (or similar) and then dry line separately.

I would like to use foil backed board that I can tape the joints on thus creating a vapour barrier. For this reason a Dot ‘n’ Dab approach seems out as I understand the mix won’t work with the foil. I have three options open to me as I can see it.

1. Insulation board with 25mm treated battens fixed through the board (holding it in place) with plaster board fixed to the battens using drywall screws. This also gives a service void but will steal an extra 25mm off the room on each wall.

2. Plasterboard fixed directly over Insulation using mechanically fixings such as these
http://www.twistfix.co.uk/products/insulation-fixings/insulated-plasterboard-fixings-product.html designed to fix through insulation back plaster board. 12 fixings per PB. No void. May need a little adhesive or an extra fixing to hold the insulation in place while I line up the PB.

3. Similar to 2. But using a foam adhesive that works with the foil such as this
http://www.everbuild.co.uk/dryfix to adhere first the insulation to the wall and then the PB to the insulation. Plus probably 2/3 of the fixings above to be sure.

The cost of the 3 options above is broadly similar so I had discounted 1 as it will take more space. Are there any major advantages or disadvantages that anyone can see with 2 or 3? Which would anyone suggest?

I’ve heard mixed reviews about the foam approach. Everybody seems to say it sticks, but apparently it’s mild expansion can force the insulation/PB away from the wall leaving an uneven surface. On the flip side something niggles me that 12 (manufactures recommendation) of these fixings really isn’t very much!

Any comments/advice welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
What you describe is pretty much the standard specification. Personally I prefer thermal plasterboard but I agree it's more expensive. Adhesive fixing can de-bond on very damp walls so battens is safer. I would also use a vapour layer between the plasterboard and insulation rather than foil backed.

What you describe is pretty much the standard specification. Personally I prefer thermal plasterboard but I agree it's more expensive. Adhesive fixing can de-bond on very damp walls so battens is safer. I would also use a vapour layer between the plasterboard and insulation rather than foil backed.

Thanks Jeds, good to know I'm on the right track. Hadn't considered the adhesive de-bonding, there's no damp issue at present (but no isulation so.....) but I'll bear that in mind.

What is the advantage of the vapur layer over the foil? Or is a a matter of preference?

I've not heard of anybody that has used the mechnical fixings I'm looking at. Does anyone have an opinion?

Sponsored Links
Just personal preference. Fixings should be stainless or anodised to prevent corrosion. Otherwise, as long as they are suitable length etc, then use whatever method you prefer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back