Single Storey Extension on Sloping Ground

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone!

I have scoured this thread for answers to my planning query - which is around from which point we measure the eaves height for our proposed single storey extension (flat roof). Our property is located on sloping ground, however it doesn't slope from "front to back" like most properties seem to when searching! The ground slopes downward from "left to right" as in the diagram below. This would be the view when looking at the property to the rear. We are located in the right hand property, our neighbour in the left.

The issue we are having is from where can we take our maximum 3m eaves measurement when planning the extension - as in the second diagram? We hope for our application to fall under PD, however the planning dept at the local council invalidated the drawings my husband sent in as the eaves height (on the right of my naff drawing below) of 3.5m is too large. They seemed to completely overlook the sloping ground here?

I hope the diagrams I have included make sense (n). If we took the eaves height to be 3m at the right hand side, that would give us a height of 2.5m at the left of the extension in that diagram.

Absolutely any help and guidance you could provide a noob in need would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• houses existing.png
    houses existing.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 217
  • proposed.png
    proposed.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Highest ground level, next to the extension. There's loads of threads on this.

Dimension the eaves height on the side of the higher ground

Thanks so much for your quick reply. I do get that vibe, however cant seem to think why the planning department overlooked it. Maybe the drawings didnt make the slope clear enough...

I tend to be a bit of a stress head and impatient when it comes to waiting for responses from the planning dept... :-/

Sponsored Links
Treat planning applications like an arrest, and don't mention anything that could be used against you. :cautious:

Thank you all again for your inputs.
Page 13 shows you how to measure the eaves for a sloping site.
In this link is the measurement shown for a double storey extension? Or is the principle the same in that the eaves height is governed by the highest point... again thanks, sorry if it's like spoon feeding...

Honestly planning this extension has been such an eye opener and learning curve!

It’s the same principle for both single/two storey extensions... outbuildings too.

Thanks everyone for your inputs. The application was processed the other day without any acknowledgement to their previous concerns about eaves heights..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back