Single storey gutter against pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am in the process of building a single storey extension next to my neighbours garage (No.3), we are a detached house at No.1. I haven't started getting builder quotes in just yet.
Please see attached images of length of wall and front elevation along the boundary. I was wondering how the long gutter against the pitched roof would work.
It wouldn't be that easy to maintain as its along my neighbour owned boundary fence. I don't want an overhang gutter as I would like to build up a far to the boundary as possible.
Is there such a thing as a structural gutter that can be built into the wall?
I have seen images of hidden, concealed or secret gutters as attached, but are there issues with cleaning them? What would be the recommendation in this case?
Otherwise, I think the standard thing would be to build a parapet wall that includes lead flashing for the water to run down into a drain at the end of the building.
Although its not indicated on the front elevation plans, how far up would a parapet need to go in order to do the lead flashing?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Attachments

• boundary_gutter.jpg
    boundary_gutter.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 844
  • proposed1.jpg
    proposed1.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 434
  • 822cda01738f64f209a92f7f100a10c8.jpg
    822cda01738f64f209a92f7f100a10c8.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 3,325
  • 48-Parapet-Gutters-416.jpg
    48-Parapet-Gutters-416.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 729
  • aa0b48b4ef15035b9db07e997f71fdd3.jpg
    aa0b48b4ef15035b9db07e997f71fdd3.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 5,654
  • box-gutter-sketch_clip_image002.jpg
    box-gutter-sketch_clip_image002.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 1,329
Sponsored Links
I don't want an overhang gutter as I would like to build up a far to the boundary as possible.
For the sake of a few inches you'd rather have a permanent ugly headache that will be difficult to maintain and prone to problems unless it's done with a large degree of skill and care?
Could you not pitch the roof so that it runs front to back with a gable on the neighbours elevation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back