Single story Rear extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you all well.

I am trying to start a 4m rear extension at the back of the property, i was hoping if someone can help with advice to where to start.

Do i need a planing permission for a 4m rear extension? does it come under permitted developments. where do i start council first or architect?

House is in south west London morden, its a 3 bedroom end of terrace house with side access and 23m long garden.

Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks
Dylan

Sponsored Links
Start here: https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/17/extensions/10

I might be PD, depending on other design features, type of house etc.
As not detached it will require neighbour consultation, so will go on the council planning website anyway.

Decide what you want.
Draw some designs yourself
If you want something simple, you can do the plans yourself and get a competent builder to look after the build and building control aspects. That is a lot cheaper than paying architects to manage it all.

You'll probably also need party wall agreement for foundations with neighbour.
If you're on friendly terms you can do this yourself, otherwise is pay party wall solicitors. Basically just to get an "award" to say you're both happy for the work to go ahead and if you break something, you'll fix it. Make sure builder has insurance.

Thank you so much for your reply.

its a bit confusing is the 4m rear extension allowable in permitted developments? and also how does neighborhood consultation works? i would be greatful for any advice.

Thanks
dylan

Thank you so much for your reply.

its a bit confusing is the 4m rear extension allowable in permitted developments? and also how does neighborhood consultation works? i would be greatful for any advice.

Thanks
dylan

3m is PD for terrace and semi
4m is for detached

But 3m can increase to 6m under the large scheme which requires neighbour consultation.

Watch out for drains on a terrace

Sponsored Links
You need to go through the neighbour consultation process.

If it's approved (ie the council say you don't need permission) then you need building regulation approval.

Then you may need a build over agreement with the water company if building or next to public sewers.

And you may need to serve a Party Wall Notice on the neighbour.

Once all this is in place, get quotes from builders.

Best instruct a designer to deal with all this and draw you some plans

Draw some designs yourself
If you want something simple, you can do the plans yourself and get a competent builder to look after the build and building control aspects. That is a lot cheaper than paying architects to manage it all.
Considering they don't know where to start they would be better getting an architectural designer/technician to draw the plans and deal with planning permission and bldg. regs approvals. Then get a competent local builder to build to the approved drawings. A Full Plans Submission for bldg. regs approval would be better than the builder having to make it up as they go along under a Building Notice.

Considering they don't know where to start they would be better getting an architectural designer/technician to draw the plans

This is by far the safest method if you don't know your way around the process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back