Sink leaking and pipe not blocked off

LPH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just had a flood in my kitchen where I let the water go from my sink as usual after washing up and it came pouring out an unblocked pipe under the sink.

This has never happened before and we have lived here 2 years! Firstly any tips on how to block off or connect the open pipe to stop it happening again? Also any ideas on why it has happened now?

The sink has a drainer side sink and then the main sink. I will post a picture to illustrate the issue (the unblocked pipe is on the left)! Any help would be hugely appreciated. I have tried to research and wonder if this pipe was connected to the dishwasher which we don't use?

The water only comes out of this pipe when you let a lot of water go at once.

Thank you in advance!!!

Attachments

• 1505076577419564135349.jpg
    1505076577419564135349.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 161
Sponsored Links
Ah! Thank you!! Any ideas why it has suddenly happened when it's been unblocked for two years and not leaked before? Thanks again

The trap could be a bit blocked causing drainage to be slower making it over flow when a lot of water goes down. You could unscrew the actual trap and clean it out while you are playing around.

All them pipes unscrew from each other very easy take a picture before to remember how they go together if unsure and then just give them all a good clean.

Sponsored Links
Thank you! You saved my bacon - just unscrewed the trap (look at the picture!). Will invest in some Mr Muscle for the future. Really appreciate your help!

Attachments

• IMG_20170910_222131.jpg
    IMG_20170910_222131.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 132
That's what happens when you pour molten fat or grease down a sink drain. Further down the line they form "fatbergs"

Look after your pipes, and you wont need Mr Muscle. That stuff is lethal anyway, get it wrong and you'll melt your pipes, or worse, yourself.

Don't pour fat, food waste etc down the sink, as it just solidifies fairly quickly in the pipework, leading to blockages. Scrape pot, pans and plates into your food waste receptacle or the bin, and rinse off any residual with plenty of hot water.

Invest in an empty baked-bean tin and pour your cooking fat into it, not down the drain. When the tin is full scrape it out for the birds or hang the lump from a tree for them. Failing that, use it to light your Barbie, or put it in the bin.

Boiling water and Washing Soda crystals, used weekly, will reduce existing fat deposits.

Washing soda will not burn holes in your skin, clothes and eyeballs like some other chemicals can.

On the laundry shelf of your supermarket.

5011289000297_L.jpeg

http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/shop/gb/groceries/dri-pak-soda-crystals--fine-1kg

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/285047163

Last edited:
Thanks everyone - duly noted. Always try to scrape food off and pour fat away but clearly must try harder! Lesson learnt!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back