sinking a socket on a corner?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
no question really, just hoping for advice of thoughts..

friend of my brothers wants a socket in his kitchen changed to a double. problem is it's a surface box and will look horrid in the new kitchen.
if I were to sink the box it would be within 10mm of the corner of the window recess..

I really don't want to put a surface back on but if I sink the socket it will probably break the brick out and half the window reveal with it..

if I drill from in the window recess along the line of the back of the socket box it would help, but then I'd need to fill in the corner again against the socket..

not sure how well pollyfiller would take to that..

Sponsored Links
more than likely, and I hadn't thought of that.. thanks..
I'll see if I can leave it in place, it'll give me something to work to when I try and patch it..

the option is to just change the surface single to a surface double..

they won't let me have the floor up in the room above so I'm constrained by where I can put it.. if I could get into the floor void I may be able to move it away from the window edge...

I'll probably not end up doing it anyway..

they won't like the price I can almost guaruntee it.. ( got B&Q to design it then went somewhere cheaper .... :eek: )

Not guaranteed to work but may reduce or minimise the amount of damaged caused to th corner.

Srew a couple of battens to the inner edge of the reveal to strengthen it and help prevent the inner edge blowing outward when you sink the double box.

Just a thought but don't sue me if it doesn't work.

Sponsored Links
good idea..

recon £295 is too much to sink 4 double sockets, 2 light switches, 2 13A FCU's and a twin box at high level for the cooker hood and UC lights?
recon 2 1/2 days with second fix..
UC lights are costed in at £75 on top plus 1/2 day ( £50 ) to fit?

£345 is pretty cheap for 3 days' work!

If I have a fragile part of a wall into which to sink a socket box, I use my mini angle grinder with a diamond disc. Works a treat in as much as it cuts the edges for you and then all you have to do is chisel out the rest carefully.

Even if its an occuipied house and the home owner has just finished the dusting, spike? :LOL:

No idea what going rates are but my Dad was quoted £2,600 - £3,100 to rewire a two bedroom house. The house is unoccupied so it's an easier job than if occupied.

OK, so he's going for it in terms of sockets etc (26 doubles and 4 singles) and a plethora of FCU's and stuff) along with two way lighing to most of the lights.

I got all the materials for under £400 so a fair saving there on labour, even with the notification fee payable to the LABC on top.

I'm also installing a full CAT5 Home Entertainment Distribution system while the house is a skeleton. He's not one for TV and doesnt see the point but when I explained he can distribute everything, not just TV, around the place he was more interested. Besides, it'll be a good selling point in the future.

that's £420 including all the socket fronts and backboxes, lights and switches, fcu's and so on..

they're having a whole new kitchen so I doubt they still want their old surface sockets left as is?

that's £420 including all the socket fronts and backboxes, lights and switches, fcu's and so on..

they're having a whole new kitchen so I doubt they still want their old surface sockets left as is?

To be honest, compared with what they would pay B&Q for an "all in" kitchen installation I'm sure it'll be more than acceptable to them. They were probably quoted something stupid like £3,000 just for installation and I'd hazard a guess they'll be getting the lot, independently, for half that.

To be honest, compared with what they would pay B&Q for an "all in" kitchen installation I'm sure it'll be more than acceptable to them. They were probably quoted something stupid like £3,000 just for installation and I'd hazard a guess they'll be getting the lot, independently, for half that.

B&Q quoted me £2000 for fitting a 14 unit kitchen about five years ago, I got my mate to do it for exchange of extending his ring main and putting 4 double sockets in his conservatory.

If you do have a problem with angle bead best to cut with hacksaw or 4" grinder. Rather than chop away at it, as it will no doubt cause it to come away elsewhere and damage the internal reveal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back