Sinking socket safely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I need to sink the below single socket into wall but want to know best way.

I've done 3 sockets in another room already so the actual labour part I'm fine with. I just want to check the best way to attack this one as the area I need to work on is underneath cable.

It's fed from upstairs but then goes through the wall to a double the other side...(see below)

How can I make the area safe (obviously turn electric off) to work, is it best to cut cable at ceiling and fit some wago connectors? Or shall I turn electric off and unscrew face and detach cable from socket and move cable out the way and remove socket?

I could do with the electric still working in the other room as it has another socket that is fed from above on another wall...not sure if this is part of same ring? So don't want the rcd tripping if the circuit has a break?

Thanks!

IMG_20150820_202036.jpg

IMG_20150820_221336.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Would reconnecting the 2 cables that come down the wall be the best bet to keep the ring connected for other socket in room (not the one in picture, there is another on a different wall that is fed from upstairs and its on the same ring)

I understand simply twisting wires together (earth to earth, live to live etc) and insulating is bad practice, this will only be for a week or so while I fit new back box and then wire it back up so what is the best way to make it safe temporarily.

Thanks

Your pictures are terrible. They're about 100px each. Regardless.

If both cable drops are in trunking pull them both out, then use a chocbox and connector strips to maintain the ring - and if I understand you correctly, they are on opposite sides of the door, so this should be fairly simple. Just make sure they're tucked up out of the way whilst you're chasing.

If the two sockets on opposite sides of the wall are back to back, you will want to offset one, as chances are by the time you've chopped 25mm out of each side of the wall, you won't have any wall left.

And under no circumstances twist and tape, it's not just bad practice, it's downright dangerous.

Thanks for the reply, here is a better photo.

I will get hold of one of those connection boxes and join the 2 cables together.

2ro234w.jpg

Sponsored Links
OK I've just got one of these.. 30A

e6vqyf.jpg

sczz92.jpg

So do I simply turn electric off and connect the wires to the terminal block colour to colour each side? Then if I turn the electric back on there should be any issues as all sockets for downstairs are on one ring with a B32 fuse

No just two

33k5ahh.jpg

I will just have to remove the socket the other side and pull cable back through and then terminate.

So you have one cable dropping down to that socket, another dropping down to the socket on the other side of the wall and a link joining the two.

You are moving the double on the other side higher up and sinking it. What are you doing to the single?

Where is that chase going?

How are you going to add the flush socket into the wiring?

I plan on chasing where the cable is now then fitting either a new single or double box flush where the current single is now. I would do it the same height as the one behind but the wall is only roughly 5.5" deep so may be risky.

The cable that comes down and through wall will need to be extended as I'm adding another socket as well as the one behind. (See below)

So it will go to far socket first, then from that back to the socket that's behind the single, then from that back through wall to single then back upstairs. (Hope that makes sense)

IMG

Is there a socket on that wall with the window? if not, then that cable is not in a safe zone and you will need to rethink your route.

As for those cables, you need to pull that one back through the wall, lose the link, and join those two cables that come through the wall together. Simples

I'm putting a new socket at the end of the small chase so its directly horizontal from the one in view.

The other larger chase is for radiator pipes if that's what you thought had cable in?

I was under the impression the socket chase is still in a safe zone being horizontal?

Yea horizontal zones are fine, but they don't go round corners. If a socket is going at the end of the small chase (under the right hand side of the window, then it's fine.

How are you planning on extending those cables that are in the (I assume) hallway?

Yes will be at the end on the right.

I have an electrician doing the wiring and I've asked for maintanence free connections where it needs to be extended so can plaster over them, I presume they will be crimped or some kind of maintanence free terminal...

Thanks!

He could probably do them in the backbox of that socket in the wall, MF or not, joints buried in plaster is only asking for trouble

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back