Siren Tamper alert on a Yale sync smart Siren

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know these DIY kits are low spec etc. But I installed one about a month ago on my house. I have in the last week getting an intermittent tamper alert and intermittent false alarm. Sometimes I get a tamper alert and then it restores itself, today I had the siren box off the wall and resecured it making sure the rear spring was compressed as well as the cover spring, four hours later same fault occurs, Through the app I have disabled the siren tamper, fault then clears from the Yale Hub (obviously) but what exactly have I disabled? Have I disabled the siren completely or just the tamper switches if the cover was removed?? Sorry if its a stupid question tear me a new one if you want, but would appreciate advice .
Thanks

Sponsored Links
no idea wrt to Yale devices specifically.

however, disabling a tamper, usually stops a tamper fault from the device reporting only.
It isn't advisable to disable a tamper fault permanently it should be fixed.

is the wall even?
is the tamper spring visible?
is there a front and rear tamper?
its wireless, if your at the property for a full day why not take it indoors, have a look at the tampers and see if you can hear them click.

what is the exact message you are getting and what are the exact pieces of kit you have?

I'm not familiar with this model, but on other Yales, the anti-tamper gives you half an hour to go round changing the batteries, then resets.

On the other Yale siren boxes, there is one tamper switch, it presses with a spring on the wall at one side, and the case lid on the other. If either moves, it triggers. Sometimes you need to fix a flat plate to the wall for it to press on, e.g. if you have lumpy pebbledash.

Thanks for the replies its really helpful
The wall is old reclaimed London Stock bricks definitely not flat, I did pack the rear tamper out with a piece of UPVC plastic strip to give it a flat surface to push against. Screwing the siren to this uneven wall does distraught the box as it is not completely flat. The tampers are two separate ones, for the rear and front. Its this Yale version here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Smart-Alarm-Works-Amazon/dp/B07FR78X16

Im trying to understand what exactly Im doing by " disable the siren tamper " in the app . under Siren Settings. The Siren is well out of reach to any passing thief so a tamper is not needed, but understand that I cant leave it that way in case of false alarm etc, thanks again

Sponsored Links
you might consider binding the siren box tamper switch so it can't trigger. I think I've used rubber bands in the past, but they will perish over time outdoors. Maybe vinyl tape? Plastic boxes expand when the sun gets on them so maybe yours distorts.

Try putting stainless washers on the screws to pack out the uneven wall. Or woodworkers use plastic packing wedges. I wouldn't tighten screws enough to distort the case.

I can't advocate bodging it up, you should address the problem properly, if possible.

disabling the tamper with tape means it can be tampered with without activation.(probably not a major problem if access to it is difficult).

From what you have said the issue is the back plate not sitting flat on the wall.

as you screw it to the wall you make it twist, if you can find a way of checking the back plate isn't twisting with a level or something.

You might be able to find a better position for the bell that's a little moe even to start with maybe????

We have a similar issue. We have been getting false tamper alarms going off even with the alarm disabled. The siren keeps going off. We have installed the siren high up on our building professionally, so we can't even get to it ourselves without an extra long ladder. Is there a way to disable the siren completely from the control panel or the app?

you shouldn't disable the tampers, if you found a professional to install a Yale alarm you did well as most wont touch with a barge pole.

The Siren/ tamper is either faulty or the device hasn't been installed correctly.

I think you will come to regret having the siren where you can't reach it.

I fitted one where the siren could be reached from an upstairs window. This was helpful when changing batteries.

The Siren/ tamper is either faulty or the device hasn't been installed correctly.

How does this system's siren react to radio frequency interference ?

Can the siren transmit and thus be able to inform the control panel that it is receiving interference and thus the incident will be logged in the fault log ?

In some alarm systems the siren cannot transmit so if it is being tampered with or receiving interference then the siren can only alert the user by sounding off.

Quoting from this web page https://www.yale.co.uk/en/yale/couk/advice/faqs/alarm-faqs/

My alarm regularly sounds during the night, but there are no messages shown on the control panel. What is the reason for this?
This problem is usually caused by poor positioning of the external siren and will be exacerbated during bad weather, for example during periods of high winds and storms. Please place suitable waterproof packaging behind the tamper lever, also ensuring the siren cover is firmly screwed into place. If the problem persists it is also recommended to disable the radio interference detection.

Most interference is from nearby equipment using the same Licence Exempt radio frequency, if that equuipment complies with the regulations for use of the Licence Exempt frequency then there is nothing you can do ( other than to disable the radio interference detection )

However some interference may be jamming with malicious intent. If radio interference detection is disabled then the malicious jamming will not be detected.

Thanks for the replies its really helpful
The wall is old reclaimed London Stock bricks definitely not flat, I did pack the rear tamper out with a piece of UPVC plastic strip to give it a flat surface to push against. Screwing the siren to this uneven wall does distraught the box as it is not completely flat. The tampers are two separate ones, for the rear and front. Its this Yale version here.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yale-Smart-Alarm-Works-Amazon/dp/B07FR78X16

Im trying to understand what exactly Im doing by " disable the siren tamper " in the app . under Siren Settings. The Siren is well out of reach to any passing thief so a tamper is not needed, but understand that I cant leave it that way in case of false alarm etc, thanks again

I'm having an issue with my recently installed Yale Smart Sync siren too so I thought I'd bump this. The thing is my siren looks like the one pictured in the link you posted EXCEPT it only has one tamper switch on the front and it doesn't have one on the back. My system message is telling me it's been tampered with but I checked to see if the lid was fitted correctly and it definitely has engaged the tamper switch. I'm starting to think the module itself is faulty because I have 'disabled' my tamper switch in the siren settings but it's still showing a tamper fault. If anyone has any ideas please let me know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back