YALE alarm HSA600 tamper issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Yale system HSA6000 with several door contacts HSA6010 and PIR HSA6021. Recently my Door Contacts have been giving a tamper alarm when the alarm system is OFF and the door is opened. The fault will not clear and to use the alarm I have to force arm the system. The only way to remove the fault is to Remove the Device and Add is back in. It then works perfectly until I open the door (when the system is in Alarm OFF state). The tamper return and will not clear.

I feel that the tamper system is just a nuisance and this fault makes it useless. Is there a way of stopping the tamper system (NOT THE SIREN) altogether, perhaps if I remove the springs?

Sponsored Links
please explain how the troublesome sensors are firmly fixed in place. Photos may help.

When did you last change the batteries?

Please show a photo of your control panel as well. I don't know what model you have.

Hi mate buy British, a Texecom or Pyronix radio system you can go wrong, over the last year we have replaced these systems by order of the customer (29) and put them in the bin..... spend a little more and get a SSAIB or NSI company to install.

Yale are renown for failing.
The saying is buy cheap buy twice.
You are better of spending your money a decent 2 way wireless system,like Pyronix,Texecom and Risco

Sponsored Links
Yale are renown for failing.

Really? Where did you hear that?

They are a very popular brand for the DIY market.

This is a DIY website and we get very few DIYers asking for help with a non-working system.

We do however get a larger number of professionals moaning about them.

Taking the bread out of their mouths? Surely not. The DIYer spending £180 is hardly a potential buyer of a professional installation.

This is a DIY website and we get very few DIYers asking for help with a non-working system

That could be because the DIYer with an intruder alarm that is not working may not realise it is not working. Almost all intruders alarms that rely on one way wireless communications can be partially non-functional without there being any indication to the user.

Missing or failed sensors can go un-noticed.

A door frame with a one way wireless communicating sensor was replaced. The sensor went with the old door frame to the bonfire. The alarm system did not give any indication that the door was not longer protected. The alarm could be set.

An alarm system using two way wireless communications can routinely ask each sensor to report it's status. A nissing sensor will result in the owner being alerted. A check on all sensors would be made each time the alarm is set.

That could be because …
...it works fine.

I doubt there are many people who send away their front door with the alarm sensor attached.

It would prevent the chimes and countdown audibly working. A very useful feature, I always thought.

very much like going out and forgetting to lock the door won't be detected.

In a DIY system there are not likely to be sensors on all windows anyway.

Householder's carelessness can be a problem.

A budget system that costs £150 and can be installed and working in a couple of hours by a homeowner with a screwdriver should not be expected to be equivalent to a £2,000 system.

I don't complain about a lack of factory-fitted televisions and adaptive cruise control in my 206.

It's nice to see that this thread contains one person who is interested in helping the OP with his symptoms.

Thanks for your help John. I hope these help. I change the batteries every year. This unit worked perfectly for four years and has recently given this problem. I really would like to disarm this tamper thing. It is pretty useless. If I take out the spring might that do it?
I don't appreciate these so called Professionals who seem to think they have the right to spend their valuable time, and wasting my time, bitching about people who don't spend money with them. It doesn't make me want to use them! Haven't they read the name f this site?

IMG_4135.JPG
IMG_4136.JPG
IMG_4137.JPG
IMG_4138.JPG

I really would like to disarm this tamper thing. It is pretty useless. If I take out the spring might that do it?

Unfortunately removing the spring won't help you. It will cause the sensor to be in permant tamper. You would probably need to solder a link onto the PCB to permanently bypass tamper protection.

Use a working contact from a different location on your front door, and look at replacing the faulty 1.

Thanks for your help John. I hope these help. I change the batteries every year. This unit worked perfectly for four years and has recently given this problem. I really would like to disarm this tamper thing. It is pretty useless. If I take out the spring might that do it?
I don't appreciate these so called Professionals who seem to think they have the right to spend their valuable time, and wasting my time, bitching about people who don't spend money with them. It doesn't make me want to use them! Haven't they read the name f this site?
Even John D does not seem to get the idea about how alarms work.

"Tamper thing", love it.

Well we will always recommend that a system is installed correctly, the one here is not being installed correctly.

Because of the arrogance of the above I'll say no more and let you get on with it.

Hope nothing serious happens.

Getting back to somthing else said, "so called professionals" there are a good number on this site. Obviously you have not seen the correct and valuable answers given, no, you would not have done would you, only been here FOR 5 mins and think you know what is acceptable to fit and not fit within an alarm system.

An anti-tamper circuit/system is an important part of the integrity of any alarm system.

Well you are wrong, you don't. I'm going to leave it there because I can see this going on and on for pages and pages.

Steve, do some research before you say something more inflammitory and so wrong, you need to learn about the workings of alarm systems, EVEN DiY ones before trying to be sarcastic.

looks like they were held on with sticky tape. Try screws. These will hold it firmly to the frame without the thick sticky foam holding it away. Please hold the sensor up on the frame in the position you had it, and photograph from front and side. I'm not sure it looks right.

All the spring does is press on a clicky switch. Apart from rainwater getting in, I can't see why it should go wrong. When setting up the system, learning in sensors and walk-testing prior to getting on the stepladder, I've sometimes used white tape to hold all the springs in, so I could try out the system on the table without them generating Tamper signals.

Some sensors have a little manual switch inside but I've forgotten what it does.

Your alarm system appears to be an HSA6400 (if it has the phone functions) or HSA6300 (no phone).

You can turn off "tamper" at the control panel for up to 60 minutes, e.g. when you are changing batteries. Not permanently.

Clear all the fault messages from the log after working, or you may be misled if you see the old message later.

Edit
Is that a hinged door, opening out?

Last edited:
I’ve installed many 6400 systems.

It doesn’t look like the original sticky tape Yale provide. Try fixing with screws or buying replacement bone Fife Yale tape pieces. £5 each pair not cheap

I advise you buy a new sensor for £19

Then delete this existing one and add the new one

I reckon the problem will then go away Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back