1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Siting a bathroom extractor

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Jupiter01, 14 Jul 2019.

1. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have an en-suite which is approximately 3.5m long and 1.2m wise. There is a shower enclosure at one end and the toilet at the other end.

It would be easier to site a extractor on the wall where the toilet is mounted but conscious that it’s away from the shower. Is that okay?

2. Rad1o

Rad1o

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Our en-suite is like this and I put a humidistat extractor fan above the shower as that is where the steam is and the other side we have a good size tilt and turn window for ventilation. Depending on your ceeling joists direction you might be able to easily push a hose through.

• Like Like x 1
  3. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Should be opposite end of doorway or window so that a through draft is set up... Fresh air in through door and extracted through vent... Sometimes you are just governed... Also above a wc is good as it will help get rid of odours (y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks guys. As luck has it, the joists are running in my favour. I could site the extractor in the middle of this room and then have a duct which pushes it through the wall, further along.

Q. Am I okay to have a duct which is 1.5 metres in length and which type of duct should I use please e.g. flexible, rigid, foil, etc.

Thanks for your help.

5. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    So, sounds like you're considering a ceiling mounted vent. Rigid is best and ideally you'll want a fall on it, away from the fan so that any condensation will drain away from it to the outside... Using flexible duct means water will collect in the ribs and go stagnant.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes, ceiling mounted after the suggestion of floor joists in an earlier response. Appreciate the tip on the fall. Presumably, I need to go slightly higher first (vertically) to achieve the fall you have mentioned?
    Final question for now please, are these rigid duct pipes always the same size? I am trying to determine which diamond core bit I will need for this.

7. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    they vary a little. I made the mistake of using soil pipe which is readily available and cheap, but the internal diameter is too tight for many modern fans. Ducts are nominally around 100mm usually and around 114-118 externally. If you are mortaring them in a little extra space is OK.

If you go to a ventilation duct merchant (e.g. on ebay) you will find a wide range of ducts, elbows, backdraught shutters, cowls and connectors at a good price, and if the same brand they will all fit.

if the duct passes through an unheated space you can buy an insulated version which reduces condensation. Otherwise wrap well in loft roll.

If you can conceal an inline fan it can be quieter and three times as powerful as an ordinary bathroom extractor. A timed overrun is useful for a shower room as they take a long time to dry. With a quiet fan this will not be annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jupiter01

Jupiter01

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Unless I have misunderstood, even if I concert to rectangle from circle, there is a need for the vertical pipe from the extractor to go up before the horizontal section can slope down?

10. dilalio

dilalio

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Yes

• Thanks Thanks x 1