Siting an oven - regulations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put an oven at waist level rather than under the worksurface. It will therefore be in a stack/tower of built in units. I would like to place it next to the fridge/freezer which will also be built in.

Are there any regulations that say you cannot place a cooker/oven next to other items in the kitchen or can you put them where you like?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
No, but the practicalities of using them make it better to have some space between them.

The fridge-freezer will have to use more energy to keep itself cool if it's next to an oven - unless of course you don't use the oven much.

Sponsored Links
If the ventilation for the oven unit is correct, there should be little heat transferred 'sideways' through the sides of the tower units. We have that setup, and it isn't a problem (except for where to put things down as you take them out of the 'fridge :( )

Not that I'm pretending to know ANYTHING about this sort of thing, but thought it worth mentioning our oven came with some quite detailed requirements in the installation instructions about where it could be sited and minimum distances.

Most of the instructions will be refering to airflow. There are general guidlines for installing height wise. My oven is not standard. I have adouble oven that I made lower & installed a m/wave above it. Do what you like as long as its safe for users, & has adequate ventilation.

Ovens nowadays have a lot of internal air circulation. Air is taken in at the back of the outer casing, and blown out of the front, just above the doors. This air picks up any heat in the oven casing and blows it out the front. This means very little heat is transferred to the outer casing and therefore the cabinetry.

I wouldn't worry about putting a fridge next to an oven. Just make sure both appliances have the right ventilation. Built in fridges normally require a vent at the top (if its in a tower this is normally at the top rear of the cabinets) Put a vent for the ovens intake in the plinth of its tower.

Crafty said:
Ovens nowadays have a lot of internal air circulation. Air is taken in at the back of the outer casing, and blown out of the front, just above the doors. This air picks up any heat in the oven casing and blows it out the front. This means very little heat is transferred to the outer casing and therefore the cabinetry.

I wouldn't worry about putting a fridge next to an oven. Just make sure both appliances have the right ventilation. Built in fridges normally require a vent at the top (if its in a tower this is normally at the top rear of the cabinets) Put a vent for the ovens intake in the plinth of its tower.

Generally they are fan cooled as there are electronic controls. Manufactures try to keep costs down, to install a fan/controls & associated wiring is costly & will not be used to keep cabinets cool unless the design is poor.
The design of the oven is such that convection keeps the cabinets below the permit limit. There is also a limit to the external temperature of the handles & control knobs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back