How does this cooker fit in!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i have had a normal floorstanding cooker all my life, but would like one of those ovens/grills that are waist high and sit in a kitchen unit.

Do these ovens just slot into the hole of the kitchen unit!! I know you have to buy the kitchen unit to fit the oven, but is it just a case of it's an electric oven, you slot it into place in the kitchen unit and plug it in!!
Or is there a lot more to it.

Any replies would be fantastic.

Sponsored Links
Its largely just as you say really - but if possible choose the correct carcass for the cooker. I've fitted a few, and it isn't rocket science to fit timber bearers etc if they are required. The manufacturers instructions are usually pretty clear.
You'll find that most of these cookers are hard wired - i.e there's no plug on the end, and the cable has top be connected into its own junction box. The cable is left long enough to make the connection with the cooker standing alongside - when its lifted into place the cable just hangs down behind.
John :)

You buy a cabinett..buy a cooker ..there are single oven (the grill is in the oven) or double oven, the grill will be in the smaller oven.
They need to be hard wired...not on a plug, although you may find one that can be plugged in.

Thank you for your answers, so basically is it a case of i buy a oven housing cabinet, but the oven but make sure the oven is a smaller size than the cabinet, and then you just slot the cooker in place!! What actually holds the cooker from sliding forwards when you pull the door open and what holds it stable!!

Sponsored Links
They usually are a standardised design, so a built in cooker will fit into a carcass made for it. When the doors drop down, you often see some screw holes that allow a fixing into the cabinet edge.
John :)

There are three standard size built in ovens types

Single oven (single cavity)
Double Oven/Grill (Double cavity one being a standard size oven the other being a grill and or small oven)
Double Oven (Double cavity both being standard size ovens one being fan and the other usually being a convection oven and grill)

They are usually screwed in from the front to prevent them falling forwards. They sit on runners or plinths in the kitchen unit carcase (sometimes supplied with the oven)

There are three standard size built in ovens types

Single oven (single cavity)
Double Oven/Grill (Double cavity one being a standard size oven the other being a grill and or small oven)
Double Oven (Double cavity both being standard size ovens one being fan and the other usually being a convection oven and grill)

They are usually screwed in from the front to prevent them falling forwards. They sit on runners or plinths in the kitchen unit carcase (sometimes supplied with the oven)
=====
2 Standard sizes 600mm & 1200mm, although there are wider ovens that are available, but again they are all standard sizes.
If the oven requires fixing, the fixing will be supplied, be it runners or screws.

2 Standard sizes 600mm & 1200mm, although there are wider ovens that are available, but again they are all standard sizes.

Never seen a built in oven wider than 600mm, Freestanding ones come in 5 widths 500mm, 550mm, 600mm, 900mm and 1200mm.

I see 3 height sizes of built in oven

Full size single oven (600mm) ie Bosch HBN531E0B
Double oven (890mm) ie Hotpoint BD52B (The most common double oven size)
Full size double oven (basically 2 single ovens on top of each other cant remember a model number but I am mostly replacing these with 890mm ones)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back