Siting Electric cooker control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to instal a cooker control unit and because of the kitchen decor I can't site it near to the cooker. Does anyone know how far from the cooker is permissable? And can it be installed in the hall outsider the kitchen? - either way it would be sited about a meter from the cooker.

Help would be appreciated.

Filmskate

Sponsored Links
It must be fitted within two metres of the cooker for access in emergencies so should be in the kitchen.

Sponsored Links
It must be fitted within two metres of the cooker

Wasn't it mentioned on this forum recently that the 2m rule was removed from BS7671 some time ago? Not that keeping to that long-standing rule isn't a good idea, of course.

I can't remember exactly the thread in which it was mentioned, but I seem to recall it being posted that the 2m requirement doesn't actually appear in the 17th edition (perhaps only as a suggestion carried forward from the older editions in the on-site guide?).

Perhaps somebody with a copy of the 17th edition can check the appropriate section and confirm.

There is no explicit distance any more - IIRC there wasn't in the 16th either. 2m is a guideline, I guess from when the regs specified it. Or more likely specified 6'.

"Suitably placed for ready operation" is the key, so you could successfully claim that at more than 2m - 2 or 3 steps to get to it is hardly any different to 1 or 2, but outside the room would be tricky....

Unless your standard practice is to run away as fast as possible when something goes t*ts-up...

OSG, states "should be within 2m of appliance" as does John Whitfield. Guidance to part p states "so it is not necessary to lean or reach over hob to isolate".

There is no explicit distance any more - IIRC there wasn't in the 16th either.

Thanks, that's what I thought had been mentioned recently.

2m is a guideline, I guess from when the regs specified it. Or more likely specified 6'.

Yes, the original 1966 issue of the 14th edition specified that the switch must be within 6 ft. of the cooking appliance. That became 2m with the conversion to metric in the revised 1970 edition (regulation A.29 for anyone who has copies).

Right.
As the cable, obviously, has to run to the cooker it would be poor design, aesthetically if not electrically, to place it 'miles' away from the cooker, wouldn't it?

To filmskate:
If the hallway is less than a metre away (in a straight line I presume) can you not run the cable in the hallway with just a hole through the wall to the switch in the kitchen to avoid damage to the decor?

Right.
As the cable, obviously, has to run to the cooker it would be poor design, aesthetically if not electrically, to place it 'miles' away from the cooker, wouldn't it?
Island kitchen unit with hob installed.

The wall behind a person using the hob is 4m away and also houses the ovens (this is one of the kitchens they use in adverts).

Discuss.

Mmmm.

Unless you have a huge posh house, as the cable, obviously, has to run to the cooker it would be poor design, aesthetically if not electrically, to place it 'miles' away from the cooker, wouldn't it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back