six weeks, six visits, still no working boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Posting again because I am close to wits end with this. I have multiple visits from heating engineers and nobody can diagnose the issue let alone fix my Worcester boiler.

I am getting closer but since I have already spent over a grand I want to try to do a bit of detective work on my own before it costs me more money.

The last three times the burner has run for 24 hours before locking out, and on each of the last three times there has been a sort of slimy film on the nozzle filter. Last time the guy was here he said - and I agreed - that there was no point putting the new nozzle on because it would likely do the same again. He reckons it is the fuel supply.

I have had a paste test done and there is no water in the storage tank.

The oil in the tank (which is new) is clear.

HOWEVER

When left in the collection jar I have been using it goes cloudy.

I am now running tests with the oil to see if oil stored inside the house goes cloudy the same as the oil left outside.

I thought it might be temperature related.

I spoke to someone today who said the temperature drop might be illuminating the problem but was unlikely to be the cause.

So far the oil stored inside the house has not gone cloudy like the oil left out overnight.

I understand the difference between normal water content and emulsified water content, but the person I spoke to today did not think a bit of water content would repeatedly foul the burner nozzle.

So, can anyone shed any light? So far I have been unable to find anyone who can nail the issue.

Sponsored Links
I should say that I have had new pump, new motor, new expansion tank, plus system has been tested through. Analyser test showed everything well within tolerance.

Flame is good initially after new nozzle fitted, then degrades and I get stink of unburned fuel and then burner lock out. Inspection reveals clogged nozzle.

Its probably already been done, but what is the state of the filter/ water settling bowl at the tank outlet?
There’s another filter within the oil pump itself.
I think I would be having a word with your fuel supplier to hear what they say? They may have had other complaints.
Is there any chance of you setting up a temporary fuel supply from a large oil drum or similar?
Kero does absorb moisture and it’s not recommended that you store it for ages.....although a time scale is hard to find!
John :)

The heating oil, is it essentially red diesel?

If so in really cold weather it does crystallise and cause all manor of issues.

We have similar issues in offshore rigs.

The cloudiness may well be the crystals forming. When you take it indoors it should then go clear again.

There is an additive you can add to the tank to stop this from happening.

Have you changed suppliers, or has the supplier changed their supplier?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply, John.

I actually haven't checked the filter bowl at the tank. I guess I should do that. The paste test did show no water separation in the tank.

Now I think about it, would the paste test discover emulsified water content I wonder. I can look that up and maybe eliminate another possibility.

The oil supplier did not mention any other complaints.

The heating oil, is it essentially red diesel?

If so in really cold weather it does crystallise and cause all manor of issues.

We have similar issues in offshore rigs.

The cloudiness may well be the crystals forming. When you take it indoors it should then go clear again.

There is an additive you can add to the tank to stop this from happening.

Have you changed suppliers, or has the supplier changed their supplier?

No change in supplier, but the it does look like some kind of crystallisation.

The oil test sample I have been storing indoors has not gone cloudy like the sample stored outdoors. Also, the first sample stored outside was during the cold snap and that went cloudier than the sample stored outside when it has not been as cold. So that makes sense.

its just the guy I spoke to from an oil cleaning company didn't think it would cause problems with the burner. I am glad you said similar has caused issues for you, even if the set up is obviously different. Gives me a bit of hope.

I guess it is like red diesel. It is kerosene, domestic grade. Must be same sort of stuff.

I think maybe it is not crystallisation. Or not entirely. I've had some inside which I forgot about which was cloudy outside and has been inside for a couple of days and has not gone back to clear.

Maybe the 'slimy' film on the nozzle filter is actually wax deposits that have crystallised out of the fuel due to the cold.

At some point the film is sufficient to impede the flow of the oil, so then I get the smell from reduced atomisation, and then burner lockout.

Normal kerosene is 28 sec viscosity whereas red diesel or gas oil is thicker...
34 sec maybe, I really cant remember but 28 sec is the usual burning oil of choice and its more of a yellow / green in colour.
Red diesel really needs an anti waxing agent when used in winter unless the tanks and fuel lines are in shelter.
Certainly I’ve never had any issues with mine which has exposed pipework and -11 degrees isn’t uncommon.
There’s an additive made by Smith and Allan which could be your answer......would it be possible to drain off say 5 gallons or whatever into a plastic drum, then leaving it covered outside to see what happens?

Maybe the 'slimy' film on the nozzle filter is actually wax deposits that have crystallised out of the fuel due to the cold.

At some point the film is sufficient to impede the flow of the oil, so then I get the smell from reduced atomisation, and then burner lockout.
That’s exactly what’s happening, unfortunately.

That’s exactly what’s happening, unfortunately.

If that is it it won't be unfortunate, it will be fantastic news. It means I can solve the issue without spending the next ten years and every last cent trying to fix a problem I don't understand.

One thing I can do, I guess, is insulate all the exposed pipe properly, drain off what is in the system and some from the tank, and fire it up. I may even wait until we get a warmer spell. Another two or three weeks on top of the six I have already had won't matter.

Normal kerosene is 28 sec viscosity whereas red diesel or gas oil is thicker...
34 sec maybe, I really cant remember but 28 sec is the usual burning oil of choice and its more of a yellow / green in colour.
Red diesel really needs an anti waxing agent when used in winter unless the tanks and fuel lines are in shelter.
Certainly I’ve never had any issues with mine which has exposed pipework and -11 degrees isn’t uncommon.
There’s an additive made by Smith and Allan which could be your answer.would it be possible to drain off say 5 gallons or whatever into a plastic drum, then leaving it covered outside to see what happens?

Thanks for the suggestion. I could do that. However, I do have a load in a steel drum which I have stored outside since I changed over the storage tank last summer. I took a sample earlier today and it was clear.

I will look up the smith and Allen additive. Thanks.

I just looked it up. Looks like it does exactly what I need. I will give them a bell to see how much I need for what's in my tank. Thanks very much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back