six weeks, six visits, still no working boiler

I had a problem with my oil central heating now cured, it was intermittent which was the problem, but every time the guy came first thing was check the filter, and clean it.

Both 28 sec and 35 sec gas oil looks the same, had both in the Falklands and easy to mix them up, but in UK normally a red colour is added to 35 sec gas oil if not being used as road fuel, but if stored I have seen the colour fade, and although the fuel can still be tested and shows as being red diesel it can look clear.

I have had waxing, and it tends to happen at the filters, but have in the past had to clean out pipes with an air line after bringing vehicle back to depot on a test tank. Seem to remember allowed 10% 28 sec gas oil in 35 sec to stop it waxing, but in vehicles we added a little petrol, but this was years ago before addblue etc.

It needs the jets changing to swap from 28 sec to 35 sec, used 35 sec in space heaters, but not standard central heating.

Sponsored Links
I think the red colour is only added to try to stop its illegal use in road vehicles. ( It has no duty charged for agricultural use )

It used to be quite common for C & E people to stop cars in country areas to stop farmers and their workers using red diesel in their cars!

I think the red colour is only added to try to stop its illegal use in road vehicles. ( It has no duty charged for agricultural use )

It used to be quite common for C & E people to stop cars in country areas to stop farmers and their workers using red diesel in their cars!

Yep, it is just a dye to make it obvious, other than than it is identical to white. There are ways to remove the dye, but that removal can still be detected.

Thanks for the additional replies. I still waiting on the guy to respond to my text abut the clogged filter. Nothing. Not a word. I'm so angry now I'm in more danger of being killed by a stroke than than dying of cold, although it feels like it is 50/50. Trouble is, losing it never resolves a problem, just makes it worse.

So I do not yet know if a new filter will fix it.

What I have done is take out a sample from the steel storage drum and have left it in the boiler room for a day or so. If that does not go cloudy then for certain it is the latest batch of oil, because the stuff in the drum is oil I took out of the old tank before I changed it. The new batch went into the new tank.

Sponsored Links
I hope I never see anyone on the tv talking about the need to add bio-fuel to kerosene to save the environment, otherwise I will have to add the cost of a new television to the cost of the boiler repairs.

Is say boiler 'repairs'. What I mean is unresolved boiler breakdowns.

I'm signing off this thread now. I need to take a chill pill on this and just wait for things to resolve themselves. Thanks to everyone who contributed.

You must be unlucky, my boiler guy responds very fast if the boiler fails, pushing reset every so often was a problem, but because it would not fail while he was here it was not so easy, all running A1 now.

But why not fill in details maybe there is some one near you who can help, but all we know is you live in UK.

Can you not do any of the work yourself?

Changing the filter must be relatively simple and cheap,

I'm not sure about changing the nozzle, but presume it's quite easy and as it's oil there isn't anything like gas Safe to worry about.

You can check for clean burning visually

Update, if anyone is still following this.

Chap came back to fit new filter and hook it all up and now boiler has been up and running for about 48 hours. Crucially the plume from the vent smells cleaner than it has for years.

I really don't want to tempt fate by saying it is all solved, because it is too early to say, but what I can say with some degree of confidence is that it was the clogged in line filter that seems likely to have been the root cause of the problems.

When the chap who reconnected the burner looked at the filter he said that he didn't think it had ever been changed, not even when the new boiler was put in seven years ago (it was a straight boiler swap).

I have noticed this morning that I have a slight oil leak around the isolation valve and filter housing, so I may get an air lock at some stage. However from Monday on the temperature is going to be tolerable enough to have a proper look.

I think all this has really reinforced my existing attitude that you cannot and should not rely completely on other people to do things for you unless you have real cause so to do.

Before this episode the whole system was a series of black boxes to me, and now I have a rough understanding of what the various components do and how they link together. Had I been armed with this information at the start I would have paid attention to the inline filter and checked it after the repairs failed to get the boiler working.

In fairness to the chap who did the final hook up he said he had not checked the filter because he had assumed the other people who had been out had done so, and that links it back to the people who did the service back in December.

All the advertising tells you you mustn't go near these appliances and you must get an accredited person to do this or to do that, but what are you supposed to do when people who advertise themselves as experts are - to put it as kindly as possible - less expert than you might hope?

Don't tell me that you should rely on lists of accredited people, because the people who made the original boiler swap and then serviced it for a few years afterwards were accredited. I have no doubt some or even most of the people on these lists are fully competent, but that is no use to you when you are looking through those lists.

A poster asked if I could not do any of the work myself. Yes, probably, is the answer, but I chose not to out of respect for the welfare of neighbours, and also because the temperature outside was so low I would have been in too much of a hurry. I don't have an analyser or a pressure gauge, so setting the burner up would have been problematical at best, unsafe at worst.

That said, I could smell the plume was not right just by standing in it and inhaling...and this was after the analyser reading had found exhaust fumes to be well within tolerance. Now it smells fine, so maybe your sense of smell is good enough to tell you when al is well.

Anyway, the basics seem to be that the filter was clogged and full of crap from years and years worth of filtering. It reached a point when it was no longer able to filter out impurities from the oil. Those impurities were then being pulled through the pump until they reached the nozzle filter, which was then forced to do the job of the in line filter. As the deposits accumulated on the nozzle filter the atomisation process was compromised, which led to incomplete combustion, which led to the increased smell, and eventually burner lockout.

What I do not know is whether the green film on the filter nozzle was crap in the inline filter being sucked through and deposited on the nozzle filter, or whether particulate dropout in the oil was occurring at the nozzle because the crystallisation process had been effected by the freezing temperatures and could not be blocked by a saturated in line filter.

I suppose it would need a chemical analysis to determine which is which. I would say that out of the numerous samples I took the only one that went cloudy and stayed cloudy was the one taken after the oil had passed through the inline filter. The ones from the storage tank and oil drum were clear and stayed clear even when left out in sub zero temperatures.

As a mechanic, I’d be more tempted to suspect that the blocked filter will drastically reduce or stop the fuel supply to the boiler. Nothing should get past the filter.
......but what I can say with some degree of confidence is that it was the clogged in line filter that seems likely to have been the root cause of the problems.

73ECF12B-2E83-40D9-BCDF-406229EC25E7.gif

Not so sure about that? The clogged filter was not stopping the oil getting to the burner. The pump was still pulling the oil through to the nozzle - that is how come the nozzle filter was getting clogged. You may have missed the earlier post I made when I said that on each occasion the boiler was running for about 24 hours before burner lockout kicked in.

I think all this has really reinforced my existing attitude that you cannot and should not rely completely on other people to do things for you unless you have real cause so to do.

Yep, which is why I learned to do so much for myself - supposed experts can be so variable in their level of expertise.

A clogged filter won't stop the oil flow.

But it will reduce it, and it will let particles pass that should have been filters out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back