size of cables mm² for supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a home in France and am at the moment converting a barn to a gite (apartment).

I have calculated the maximum loading possible at any one time using all the appliances as 12kW

I have masses of power coming onto my property as it was once a petrol filling station.

What size cables do I need from my main supply to my Gite consumer box in mm² each cable.

I want to use 3 cables in conduit fixed to the outside of the house a distance of 15 meters.

Sponsored Links
im guessing the current incoming supply will be three phase

you need to contact the electricity supplier to find out if they are happy with you putting all the load on one phase if not you will need a 3 phase DB rather than a CU which should be fitted by a professional

i dunno how the french handle meter connections if doing it in the UK double insulated tails would be used but i dunno if french meters can join direct to conduit (the french like conduit wiring)

as for sizing check the ratings of each of the sizes and pick the first one with a rating above that of what your service fuses are

if the service fuses are anything higher than 100A you should speak to the electricy supplier about downrating them

Homebuilder, can we expect to see you appearing on the C4 programme "Grand Designs Abroad"? :D

Sponsored Links
Back