Cable size, advice.

You can fix SWA to a fence, if the fence is a permanent structure and in good order.
The cable should be fixed clear of ground level.

Sponsored Links
Pwew, the fence is in very good condition, not a cheap B&Q job and should lasy for years. The cable will be above ground and highly visable so no chance of 'pruning it'.
Thanks for your input.

Fixing to a fence is not acceptable for any cable. A fence is not considered permenant enough. A wall, however, is. But, many people do run SWA along (very sturdy) fences with no issues. Dont forget SWA is only plastic like flex and SWA, and when the outer layer is damaged, the Steel wire will rust. This is why it should still be protected when outside. The steel wier is not a layer of armour, but an earthed protective layer. A shovel or backhoe will go through it.

Anyway, what size (in sqmm) is this SWA?

Cutting costs on this sort of thing is never a good idea.

I am not trying to cut cost, I shall use what ever thickness that is required. The stuff my friend has is very thick but did not measure it. What if I put the armoured cable in a conduit as well, I'm just trying to save digging a trench.

Sponsored Links
If it fits inside a conduit, then the chances are it's not big enough to supply your intended load.

How thick is very thick? I consider very thick armoured to be something like a 240mm² 4 core. That is about 2½" - 3" thick. It's not that big is it?

We can tell you're trying to save digging a trench, but just because you don't want to, it doesn't mean that you dont need to.

Just seen a mate down the road....He has his own building company so assume he knows what he's talking about.
He's a builder, not an electrician.

And he's a builder - has he got, or can he hire cheaply, a mini-digger? Have that trench done in no time.

I cannot get a mini digger through the side of my house there is just not enough room. Thanks for all your help folks, sparky back next week, will just let him get on with it.
I have however managed to run all the cables in so at least that should save a bit of time.And just for your info, I work in probation but I do no my way round a building site having spent too many years working on them in my younger days, in the days before you needed to be qualified to wire a plug!
I'm not rich but I can afford to get it done, I just like being hands on.
cheers folks. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

What was the point of coming here if you're just going to ignore all of the advice purely because it doesn't suit you?

I have taken advice, from all the posts. Most of the advice is telling me to let the sparrky work it out for me, thats what I'm doing. I was advised not to run the cable down the fence line, I,m not, I was advised to dig a trench, I will. Funny thing is is that I am running the light and a coulple of sockets for radio and battery charger from an extension lead-have been since I started building before the bad weather kicked in and haven't had a problem with it. Maybe I could save all the hassle and keep it that way.

The thing is Mr RF Lighting is that all I wanted to know in the first place was what size cable....in lay mans terms. Forget the beer fridge & the ice machine....what size cable to run a couple of sockets and a light, thats all, nothing else, no super duper power surges will occur by me switching the radio on or a tube light unless the radio's as big as a block of flats and the lights ase going to light up London.
It's like talking to a computer nerd, everything to show off and baffle. You guys know amps, watts, loads, twin and earth, two core etc etc etc, I do not.
The cable I'm gonna use is twin and earth, it's armoured and about 20mm thick.....in fact it is the same stuff that the builder down the road is using for his shed and he manages to run a good deal more of his than I intend to.
I have read the advise and taken it on board, is the problem 'Lighting' that I intend to use someone other than you! Please do not reply if you intend to be rude, if I was a sparky I wouldn't have need to post would I. :mad:

I was advised to dig a trench, I will.
Having dug it, reflect on whether you'd ever want to dig one again.

Probably not, would be my prediction, in which case install 10mm² or 16mm² 3-core SWA, because that will make you pretty future proof if you ever decide to take up pottery, sub-atomic physics, or frolicking in a hot tub with comely young women as a hobby.

Better still, install 2 (in case you ever want data cables) runs of ducting (e.g. http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/Ducting/Black-Twinwall-Duct-x-50m-coil.htm) with thin poly rope inside. Have fairly gentle swept bends at each end, and for a neat appearance where it emerges from the ground the 63mm ducting fits nicely inside 68mm rainwater downpipe

Thank you ban all sheds, really good advise. The idea of a hot tub appeals to me, but I think the largest most power hungry item will be a beer fridge and a guitar amp. I will have internet access but this will be by wireless means.
Cheers.

Wired is so much better.

And might be cheaper - have you checked what sort of signal strength you're getting down there? If you need to install an external repeater you might find a bit of ducting and some Cat6a cable attractive.

I will have internet access but this will be by wireless means.
Cheers.

Will that be wireless from a router on the phone line in the house ?

If so then expect to get poor service when you neighbour's router is contesting with your router for time on the same radio channel.

If you are runing a mains supply then run in some data / phone cables as well even if you don't use them straight away. Far less trouble to have them in place and not used than is it to have to install them they are needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back