Cable size, advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Before I start I’d like to say that all connection work will be carried out by a qualified electrician.
I have built a music/bar room at the bottom of my garden which is approximately 40 metres from the consumer unit in the house to the one in the new room. I have a fence that runs the entire length of the garden. I was wondering whether it would be possible to run the cable in a conduit attached the fence. Therefore saving me having to use armoured cable.

I will not be running any heavy duty appliances, just an ice machine, beer fridge, ipod docking station, pc and maybe the odd guitar amp. Have also put a lighting ring there as well. It will all be wired into a new consumer unit. What size cable should I use for the garden run? given the distance it has to travel.
Thanks for the help in anticipation.

Steve

Sponsored Links
The point is, as your Electrician will have to certify his work, it will be he who has to specify the wiring method and I suspect it wont involve cable in conduit. For the hassle involved and extra price of conduit, SWA will work out cheaper.
Additionally it will be the Electrician who has to spec. the size as well.

Thank you, I was just hoping to do abit of ground work before he gets invovled. You have a good point about the cost of the conduit though, hadn't thought of it that way.

cheers

You need to calculate the output power that will be used at you music bar.
If you add up the output of Lighting circuit, ice Machine, beer cooler, guitar amplifers, pc, Ipod dock etc.
Then use this tool
voltage drop
It will work out the size of cable needed.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for reply. The guy who will be doing the work is on holiday at the moment, I thought I might save him some time running the cable down to the music room/bar, but wanted to make sure i using the correct one. He can do the rest, although I have run the cable in the room so that I can plaster board, I do not anticipate running any heavy duty kit down there.
During the past few months it has been working fine with just an extension cable running from an outside socket but this is just for one tube light and battery chargers.

Thanks for reply. The guy who will be doing the work is on holiday at the moment,
Are there any electricians not on holiday at the moment. ;)

I thought I might save him some time running the cable down to the music room/bar, but wanted to make sure i using the correct one.
You wont save anytime because he will have to check that you have laid the proper size cable, to the right depth, with right markings - how can he do that while he is on holiday.

He can do the rest, although I have run the cable in the room so that I can plaster board, I do not anticipate running any heavy duty kit down there.
What size MCB are you/he going to use and how will you provide additional protection?

During the past few months it has been working fine with just an extension cable running from an outside socket but this is just for one tube light and battery chargers.
:eek: A fully weather proof one I hope.

You can dig a trench, at least 450mm deep, and put a layer of sand in the bottom - the electrician won't be upset about not being able to do that part.

Ok ok, I get the drift, I'll leave it all up to him, but with regards to the cable, does it need to be underground?
And by the way, I enjoy cooking with wine but I much prefer drinking it, might have a a bottle now.

Just seen a mate down the road who has got a drum pf armoured cable(real thick stuff) I can have, he said it the stuff for the job and that I can run it down the fence line no need to bury it. He has his own building company so assume he knows what he's talking about.

Define 'real thick stuff' ?

You will have problems finding a decent electrician who will certify work using cable he has not supplied. Even if he does not have a problem he still needs to lay it himself or inspect your laying before backfilling !

The electrician is a friend, he won't mind me supplying the cable, as for checking it if it's visable with no joins it shouldn't be a problem, should it?

Is there a cable I can tack to the fence? thought the armoured cable would be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back