Size of meter tails

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading that if a 100A main fuse is fitted, 25mm meter tails have to be used from the meter to the consumer unit, even though 16mm tails are suitable for the total house load. Is that so?

If that is the case then what would be suitable in this scenario. A plastic box is fitted with a RCD/incomer switch with 25mm tails to the box. Then 16mm cable from the RCD box to the consumer unit, which does not have an RCD. I see the consumer unit split into two sections, the main unit and the box with the RCD in it, some 25mm cable only to the RCD is fine. Am I right?

What do you all think?

EDIT:
The reason why I ask is that the existing consumer unit has 16mm tails and is on the other side of the wall to the electric meter at high level. The 16mm tails from the meter run through the wall and up. An electrician was called in the fit an RCD and gave a ridiculous price for a new consumer unit with a RCD inside and 25mm tails back to the meter ripping out part of the wall.

This was overkill. I saw that an RCD/mains incomer can be fitted near the meter with 25mm tails to the RCD box and then connect onto the existing 16mm tails in the wall to the existing consumer unit.

Oh God, not him again.

Sponsored Links
kai wrote: "In simple terms it means that a single rcd must never be used at the origin of the installation, to avoid inconvenience when a device trips out - this new requirement was introduced in 1992, before then the regs actually permitted a single main rcd at the origin of an installation."

Are you sure that is the case? I have seen many fitted after 1992.

Sponsored Links
Interesting:
http://www.modbs.co.uk/news/archivestory.php/aid/6397/__65279;Consumer_units_and__the_17th_Edition_of_the_Wiring_Regulations.html

4. To prevent nuisance tripping, unnecessary hazards and to minimise inconvenience, circuits should not be connected to a single upstream RCD (Reg. 314.1).
5. Separate circuits must not be affected by the failure of other circuits (Reg. 314.2).

Although these conditions may at first seem very precise, the regulations are in practice open to a degree of interpretation, particularly regarding the division of installations, where acceptable levels of inconvenience resulting from a fault can be somewhat subjective.
A dual RCD board (Fig. 1) is often promoted as a fully compliant 17th Edition solution. In reality, however, it can only be a partially compliant assembly (PCA) at best. This arrangement satisfies conditions 1, 2 and 3 in the list above, but it is most unlikely to satisfy conditions 4 and 5. This is because, in the event of a fault on either set of MCBs, the associated RCD may also trip. This creates an unwanted disconnection of the MCBs where no fault exists, which is contrary to conditions 4 and 5.
So, it comes down to the installer/householder what circuits can be off in case of an RCD trip. Fitting one RCD for the whole place, a small place, is OK if the householder think so. Only RCBOs on all circuits comply with the 17th then.

Last edited:
I was reading that if a 100A main fuse is fitted, 25mm meter tails have to be used from the meter to the consumer unit, even though 16mm tails are suitable for the total house load. Is that so?

If that is the case then what would be suitable in this scenario. A plastic box is fitted with a RCD/incomer switch with 25mm tails to the box. Then 16mm cable from the RCD box to the consumer unit, which does not have an RCD. I see the consumer unit split into two sections, the main unit and the box with the RCD in it, some 25mm cable only to the RCD is fine. Am I right?

What do you all think?

EDIT:
The reason why I ask is that the existing consumer unit has 16mm tails and is on the other side of the wall to the electric meter at high level. The 16mm tails from the meter run through the wall and up. An electrician was called in the fit an RCD and gave a ridiculous price for a new consumer unit with a RCD inside and 25mm tails back to the meter ripping out part of the wall.

This was overkill. I saw that an RCD/mains incomer can be fitted near the meter with 25mm tails to the RCD box and then connect onto the existing 16mm tails in the wall to the existing consumer unit.

Oh God, not him again.
I think I'll settle down with a nice glass of merlot and wait to see how long it is before another of his threads is closed.

A plastic box is fitted with a RCD/incomer switch
A single RCD does not comply.
A plastic box does not comply.

I believe Part P Sparks have fuse seal machines so the fuse can be changed by him and then resealed
The DNO can change or replace it, no one else can.

So, it comes down to the installer/householder what circuits can be off in case of an RCD trip.
No, it's entirely due to what is stated in BS7671.

What do you all think?
That random bits of information obtained from searches of Google or similar is not the way to design an electrical installation.

So, it comes down to the installer/householder what circuits can be off in case of an RCD trip.
No, it's entirely due to what is stated in BS7671.
Except that there's no obligation to follow BS7671. And even many of those who profess to do so due to scheme membership etc. seem to ignore the part about a fault on one circuit not taking out another to some degree.

And does the BS7671 wording in 314.2 actually refer to a "final circuit" or merely a "circuit" without further qualification? If the latter, that could open up another whole can of worms regarding sub-feeds......

Oops, Had too much to drink today - 0.0225 square inches is the intended measurement!

What happened to sizing cables to the load drawn within 3M of the origin/busbar chamber? Minimum CSA 4.0mm²? There is no way you could get 400mm² cables into a 32A switchfuse when taking power from a 400A busbar chamber for example. I had no issues the other day reconnecting 6.0mm² tails from various small lighting switchfuses/ 2way fuse boxes etc. into connecting blocks fed by 25mm² tails from a replaced 100A supply. The switchfuses would probably only accept 10.0mm² cables maximum.

PBC_1966 wrote: 'Except that there's no obligation to follow BS7671.'

Thank you. Just as I thought. The article I linked to and cut & pasted implies what you confirm. A single RCD can do it all.
http://www.modbs.co.uk/news/archivestory.php/aid/6397/__65279;Consumer_units_and__the_17th_Edition_of_the_Wiring_Regulations.html This article is also used in the The Engineer's web site.

Flameport, you write the DNO can only change or replace a main fuse to a lower rating, and not even a Part P Spark with the sealing machine. So a Spark cannot change a £5 fuse type for type or a lower rating? As PCB_1966 put you wrong on a major issue, I would need conformation of that.

Flameport, A plastic box with an RCD in like this does not comply? Are you serious?

18231.jpg

Last edited:
What happened to sizing cables to the load drawn within 3M of the origin/busbar chamber?

Nothing, it can still be done, see 433.2

However only applicable for switchfuses and similar containing one or a small number of final circuits, overload protection being provided by the switchfuse or sum of the protective devices if it contains more than one.
A consumer unit for a whole dwelling would usually contain enough outgoing circuits so that the total of all would be greater than the cable capacity, making overload a possibility.

Calculations may be required in order to confirm that the reduced size cable is still protected against fault current.

It's of no real help, but last week I was at a pub to 'check' a mains supply. It was 100A single phase (with 100A fuse as the cutout was replaced 2 weeks ago and that was what the DNO said was fitted). Due to prolonged overload of connecting a commercial kitchen to the same single phase supply as the rest of the pub, the insulation on the new 25mm² tails had started to melt. Cutout fuse still good though. Tails were around 1M long.

Flameport, you write the DNO can only change or replace a main fuse to a lower rating,
No I did not.

Flameport, A plastic box with an RCD in like this does not comply? Are you serious?

The question whether that style of plastic enclosure is combustible or not was answered here:
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/cu-change-pricing.438309/page-6#post-3425527

BS7671 is not mandatory, but in reality you either use it or the equivalent regulations for some other country, all of which are substantially similar.
The discussion over using it or not has been done to death many times before.

If you want to install non compliant electrical circuits or anything else into your own home, crack on.
However if you ask for advice here or anywhere else, or have people quote for work, they will suggest and quote in compliance with those regulations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back