Sizing gas pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Its been suggested that I should not be giving advise on pipe sizing for gas installations, as I see it the correct sized pipe is as important if not more so than telling a diyer how to fit or repair a gas appliance.

I put it to the experts that when an enthusiast is hell bent on installing his own heating system, then we should at least try and ensure that persons is doing it right, and that the gas pipes size is critical for a safe installation.

Comments welcome :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
No, if there hell bent on doing it unqaulified let them do it ALL themselves, you wouldn't give money away to a stranger, soliciters and the likes get paid to flap there lips, we dont seem able to grasp this consultansy fee thingamagig do we, I aint giving nothing away for free anymore.

Its 'no win' either way. You can get flak for 'aiding and abetting' on one side if you do help in the 'grey 'areas, or grief for being 'aloof and self serving' if you don't from the other. I think each case must be judged on its evidence- so I'll sit in the fence and go with the majority! (And hope its PVM's side so he don't shout at me.)

Don't worry about PVCman, blahblah.

I was going to give him riding lessons but he couldn't afford me, :evil: :evil:

Sponsored Links
I just connected a 28kW combi to an existing 22mm pipe which should have been just on a 1 mbar drop. I reckoned on swapping the outside part- about 8 metres - for 28 if the drop was over 1.3 or so. There's 20 mbar at the appliance, but 24 working at the meter, so a 4 mbar drop. I often find big discrepancies like that. So anything much over about 50kBtu/hr gets 28mm!

Advising is difficult. I'm sitting on the fence. But I have both feet firmly on the ground. Trouble is you get nasty splinters doing that. :oops:

Its not really a trade secret is it?, anyone could just pop down to waterstones and buy a general plumbing book with pipe sizing charts in. In fact although I don't advocate it, some of the best and most perfect 'to the book' installations I have seen have been DIY. As I say though I certainly don't advocate it.....and I say it again.

That was my thoughts as well ollski, it also not against the law for a competant person to install in their own home; Yet

Adding to that the sooner it is the better.

:confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back