Skim Plastering - What type of plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Wonder if anyone could help me.

I am looking to skim over the walls in an upstairs bedroom. The walls are currently painted - 3 of which on top of existing plaster and 1 straight onto plasterboard.

Is Thistle Multi-Finish suitable for the job?

I was planning on giving the 'plastered' walls a quick coat of PVA the night before, leaving that to dry then another coat immediately before starting. Then two coats of Multi-Finish - the second slightly thinner just to finish off.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mark

Sponsored Links
Hi there,

Wonder if anyone could help me.

I am looking to skim over the walls in an upstairs bedroom. The walls are currently painted - 3 of which on top of existing plaster and 1 straight onto plasterboard.

Is Thistle Multi-Finish suitable for the job?

I was planning on giving the 'plastered' walls a quick coat of PVA the night before, leaving that to dry then another coat immediately before starting. Then two coats of Multi-Finish - the second slightly thinner just to finish off.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Mark

You can use multi on both board and walls. I would use a bond-it agent rather than PVA on the painted walls. I believe WBA is a good product but have not used it as yet. I use BG bond-it.

As long as the paint isn't glossy then you should be fine with just pva on the walls. Just give them a quick score before you pva. I only ever give the walls one coat of pva unless there is a lot of suction. It all depends on how fast you are in getting the plaster out the tub and on the walls. If you don't think you can get the plaster on the walls smooth then tub cleaned and another set mixed before the first cost is solid then I'd go for the suggestion above, wickes bonding agent. This will give you slightly more time before the set goes off. There is different bonding agents, thistle bondit and blue grit. But for WBA is better value for money at aronund £15! Bondit it £40 and blue grit£20

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back