skimming around 45 angles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a couple of external corners to skim around - they're both 45 degrees.
I've done the plasterboard and thought I'd be able to open up a thin skim bead, but it's too stiff to bend, so I thought I cut off one "wing", then it went into a spiral and kinked when I tried to straighten it, so that's in the bin.
Then I thought I'd use some micromesh, which I more successfully tried to open out, but it loses it's straightness and I'm sure it would look naff if I try to skim it.
So now I think I'll stick some scrim on the corner, fix a batten to one side, skim up to it, and when it's gone off a bit, remove the batten and do the other side.
Is this the right way to go?

Sponsored Links
hi reg,

just use some 3mm stop bead, fix it to one side and overhang it by 3mm giving you something to skim up to both sides.

make sense?

umm......no.
But are you saying you can get a really tiny stop bead, a bit like a normal one without one side?

That's it, thin coat stop bead as TM suggest;
http://www.expamet.co.uk/thincoat-stop-bead

Don’t know why but this little fella seems to cause a lot of confusion & many seem to think your referring to a PB stop edge bead.

Not everyone stocks it & it can be tiresome tracking some down & the price some BM’s will quote you initially is just silly.

I also use it around window reavals against the frame & on internal obtuse angles as well.

Sponsored Links
I also use it around window reavals against the frame & on internal obtuse angles as well.

I reckon that's cheating.

But a great tip. Avoids wobbly lines down the edges of the reveal. But you wouldn't want any condensation on the plaster otherwise the beading could rust.

Thanks chaps, will see if I can get some.

i pick mine up from wickes, near by, as cheap as anywhere else i've found so far.
Strange my Wickes doesn’t seem to stock them although I haven’t checked for a while!

I reckon that's cheating.
But a great tip. Avoids wobbly lines down the edges of the reveal. But you wouldn't want any condensation on the plaster otherwise the beading could rust.
It’s galvanized, it won’t rust & I’ve never had any problems; I even keep my stock of beading on a hard standing in the garden & some of it is there for months before it gets used! Reveals are always narrower than my trowel & the problem I find is it’s not so easy to draw a nice straight line against the frame as it is down the corner of 2 adjacent walls; but perhaps it’s just me. There is also so much light around the reveal that any slight wobble will be quiet easily noticed; fitting the bead makes it an absolute doddle to skim between the frame & an angle bead on the external edges.

[quote="Richard C";p="1272179"[It’s galvanized, it won’t rust & I’ve never had any problems; I even keep my stock of beading on a hard standing in the garden & some of it is there for months before it gets used![/quote]

I'm not picking a fight, but you must have witnessed rusty galv beadings internally - esp old houses where there is moisture in the walls etc...and around cold spots by the windows.

As you say, outside in the air it will last for years. I think when there is any moisture in a wall, the presence of salts in the wall/plaster makes for a much more corrosive environment.

but you must have witnessed rusty galv beadings internally - esp old houses where there is moisture in the walls etc...and around cold spots by the windows.

As you say, outside in the air it will last for years. I think when there is any moisture in a wall, the presence of salts in the wall/plaster makes for a much more corrosive environment.
No offence taken &, honestly, can’t say I have ;) . Most of my work is renovations in older properties before beading was even used; I occasionally come across galv. steel lathe on cast in situ lintels though & that's always OK. I’ve only been at it around 5 years & so am a relative newbie, perhaps I should switch to plastic stop bead against the frame in the reveals. :confused:

having the same thing today rich, trying to make a nice flat reveal, can be a right pig, going to use some stop bead at the frame on the next one and see how much better it is. :)

if you know what you are doing you dont need to use stop skim beads on reveals..........ffs

asleep-045.gif

if you know what you are doing you dont need to use stop skim beads on reveals..........ffs
Indeed ... and in Spain they are Master Plasterers... I particularly like the "spanish Artex" we have over here ;)

oh dear.......touched a nerve there, funny how the truth hurts :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back