skimming over rusty screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im about to skim a plasterboarded ceiling that had been put up some time ago and exposed to a lot of dampness.Although the building is now dry and the boards seem o.k[a bit dirty though],the p/b screw heads are rusty.Is there something I should treat these with and if so ,what drying/setting time prior to skimming.

Sponsored Links
Ideally P/boards should be skimmed asap after instalation so a wipe down with a damp brush should remove any dust. However if the boards have had water damage and if the screws are showing rust already I would overboard and skim to solve the problem.

The p/b itself was only exposed to damp not water -they seem pretty sound-just a bit dirty and I was hoping that a coat of p.v.a at time of skimming would deal with that ?

You can give it a go mate but the integrity of the board may have been affected. As for the rusty screws they will rust even more when you start PVA'ing the board and also when you skim. This will lead to rust marks always showing through the decoration and of course they could fail.

Sponsored Links
if the plasteboard has not been already skimmed and you are worried about the rusty screws, why dont you just replace them with fresh ones?

Clean the heads up if you can't remove them then dab with oil based paint.

Good point Steve-apart from the fact that there is also a rust stain on the p/b[in the countersink]and I was hoping to seal that at the same time.....Would a smear of gripfill do the job?or should I replace screws with new ones,forget about stain on p/b and get on with p.v.a +skim.

Good point Steve-apart from the fact that there is also a rust stain on the p/b[in the countersink]and I was hoping to seal that at the same time.....Would a smear of gripfill do the job?or should I replace screws with new ones,forget about stain on p/b and get on with p.v.a +skim.
i would just replace the screws and skim

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back