skimming walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
iam pritty handy when it comes to diy, so i thought i would give skimming my walls a try. have you guys got any tips ?
i.e do i have to prepare the walls before hand ?
whats sort of mix do i use ?
how many coats should i apply ?
how do i tackle corners in a room ?

cheers for any tips you may give me

Sponsored Links
back tracking a few pages on this forum will give you all the information you could ever need.

looked back through the pages. not much in the other replays. all seem to say different tips on skimming

do i need to apply a pva first or "key" the walls ?

do i mix the plaster with water 50:50 ?

you got any good instructions on step bay step skimming guides?

are you talking about over skimming existing plastered walls or skimming new boards?

Sponsored Links
existing walls will have a high degree of suction.
to control this and help with adhesion, two or even three coats of pva will be necessary.
thin the first coat or coats down about 5:1.

on the final coat make it 3:1 ish.

while that final coat is still tacky skim the wall.

the first mix of skim can be firmish like butter at room temperature. (easier to control)

the second or subsequent coats a little runnier (harder to control).

fill the bucket to about 1/3 full with water then stir in the powder

dom2466 said:
iam pritty handy when it comes to diy, so i thought i would give skimming my walls a try. have you guys got any tips ?
i.e do i have to prepare the walls before hand ?
whats sort of mix do i use ?
how many coats should i apply ?

Check out British Gypsum website for instructions allthough in fairness plastering is a recognised skill and a trade so only expierience can produce a good job.

before you start make sure you have enough materials, clean water , clean buckets and clean tools..... oh a dont use cheap floats

give yourself plenty of room and time, regards time, depends how good you are which will determine strength of your mix ;)

good luck

dom2466 said:

try and skim opposite walls, and let them go off. this avoids the dreaded wet angle.

if you must skim adjacent walls, use a corner trowel or twicher to help finish the angle.

a bucket of clean water with a plasterers brush is useful too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back