skip accident liability

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
did a job back in feb/mar, quite sizeable and had a skip on the street outside for a month for clearing out crap, skip had the permit so no probs there.

anyway, job finished weeks ago and i get a call from the customer last week saying the police had been in touch as someone had reversed into the skip when it was there and they are claiming on their insurance to fix the car, sounds like the insurance are now trying to pin the blame on the skip company as there were no lights or cones around it.

any idea if lights and cones should be provided as a matter of course when it's on the road?

Sponsored Links
I've just googled about skip regulations for an idea, and this came up. "Lewisham Council skip permits" It'll give you an idea of the regs.

Roughcaster.

nice one RC! seems like they are necessary after all, i'm assuming it would be the skip company's responsibility to provide them do you think?

can just see me ending up without a seat when the bloody music stops!

annoys me as if it was a car they had reversed into they be in the hot seat

Sponsored Links
The skip company owns the skip and would assume liability

But in many skip companies T&C's they do try to delegate liability to the hirer

But TBH, if Mr Magoo in the car can't see the big yellow thing in the road, then he has a low chance of success in his claim

....and weeks later, how are they going to prove there were no cones and lights in place????

have to say mr magoo does need a bloody talking to!

police came out and took photos when it happened, so not sure if mr magoo called them or the insurance company did.

f*** me the cops came out and took photos of a skip, some n*bhead has reversed into.

what the **** is going on in this world. years ago everyone woud have laughed there nuts off and that would have been the end of it.

hope it goes your way tm an hope they take the p*ss out the driver.

thanks spongey!

i couldn't believe what i was hearing when i got the call, made my blood boil!! :evil:

anyway it's gone quiet for now so hope that will be the end of it now, bloody idiot! wonder if he'd have stopped to have a look if it was a car he'd reversed into.

there are dat b*stards everywhere.

there is a reason why skips are big and either bright green or illuminous yellow.

so you dont drive into them!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back