Skirting board gaps..is this acceptable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m after some advice about fitting skirting boards. I made a start today in the kitchen but soon realised either the wall or flooring or both are not straight. I need to have a 5mm gap at one end near the external mitre so it looks true with the floor tiles. Will this look ok when filled/caulked? I haven’t fixed them yet.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• A16F6B77-1198-44B1-BC26-4B88E192356A.jpeg
    A16F6B77-1198-44B1-BC26-4B88E192356A.jpeg
    278.6 KB · Views: 520
Sponsored Links
5mm gap at the top will caulk out (even better if you fill the gap first with something like caulk saver). It is to plane out the back of the skirting (sometimes needed at the bottom) if the plastering kicks out. The alternative might be to take a hammer an an old chisel to the bottom of the plasterwork to chop back any kick out (my personal choice is a club hammer and a sharp electricians bolster chisel, but a hammer and an old chisel do as well). If the gap is between the skirting and the floor it can be scribed out of the bottom of the skirting using a variety of tools, e.g. Surform, spokeshave, block plane, belt sander, jigsaw - we even had one guy who used to do it with a hand saw (mind you, he could play a hand saw...)

5mm gap at the top will caulk out (even better if you fill the gap first with something like caulk saver). If the gap is down at floor level it can be scribed out using a variety of tools, e.g. Surform, spokeshave, block plane, belt sander, jigsaw - we even had one guy who used to do it with a hand saw (mind you, he could play a hand saw...)

Cheers for that. The gap is only a problem at the top. I was just finding it hard to visualise whether or not it would look ok before I cracked on and fixed it.

I revised the post after you'd read it and added a bit more detail which may be of use to you

Sponsored Links
I revised the post after you'd read it and added a bit more detail which may be of use to you
Yeah I noticed thanks. I had already prepared the wall like that and made sure there was no excess plaster or plasterboard etc.
Is it best practice to use mitre setting spray prior to fixing? I planned on using a grab adhesive for fixing the skirting to wall.

Yes, glue your outside corner mitres with Mitre Mate (or similar), if possible before final positioning. Grip adhesives do need to be applied quickly and you will need to apply a bit of pressure and slide slightly sideways movement into the final position to ensure that any skin on the adhesive is broken and you get a decent bond. I know that sounds a bit like patting your head whilst rubbing your tummy, but that is sort of how you use the stuff

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back