Skirting board on laminate floor gap query.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon,
I’ve fitted laminate floor and am fitting skirting.
Do I leave a little gap between the skirting and floor? Say 1mm. Or fit so they touch the laminate.
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I always leave a 1mm gap to allow for a cutting in tool to slide under to allow gloss work to be done. This also aids expansion too

No need for it.
Underlay takes care of expansion which vertically is virtually nothing.
Professional decorators use masking tape from what i've seen.

Proof indeed that any question you ask on the Internet will often result in conflicting answers :)

Sponsored Links
Proof indeed that any question you ask on the Internet will often result in conflicting answers :)
Well, it's up to you to find what makes more sense.
If the laminate has been fitted correctly, it would have an underlay which covers for any movement.
Installing the skirting 1mm away from the floor would be a real mission, considering that I never, ever found a perfectly straight floor, so naturally there will be gaps under the skirting, sometimes even 5mm.
Even with a pool table levelled floor, there would be no need to waste time on a 1mm gap.

Well, it's up to you to find what makes more sense.
If the laminate has been fitted correctly, it would have an underlay which covers for any movement.
Installing the skirting 1mm away from the floor would be a real mission, considering that I never, ever found a perfectly straight floor, so naturally there will be gaps under the skirting, sometimes even 5mm.
Even with a pool table levelled floor, there would be no need to waste time on a 1mm gap.
I wasn't having a pop, your answer makes perfect sense, I prefer the 1mm spacer gap to allow for decorating skirting.

Thanks all.
I'll lay the skirting dry, and if a nice flat fit, might slide under 1mm packers as I want to topcoat when its in place. See how it looks I suppose.
Didn't know underlay also dealt with vert expansion.....you learn something everyday....

Stiff piece of cardboard slid under aids decoration, you own weight will drop it MM or two.I Prefer to decorate skirting before fixing .

I will soon be putting laminate down myself, for the first time. I assume you fill the gap with silicon or something?
And how close to the wall should the laminate go? If skirting is 2cm, do you stop about 1cm from the wall?

I will soon be putting laminate down myself, for the first time. I assume you fill the gap with silicon or something?
And how close to the wall should the laminate go? If skirting is 2cm, do you stop about 1cm from the wall?
Have a look at online videos for the basics, then if you need more help, come back here and start a thread.
BTW, yes, you leave roughly a 10mm gap.

I will soon be putting laminate down myself, for the first time

Make sure your floor is absolutely flat. Trying to lay laminate over a hump and you will fight it for ever. Also don't skimp on underlay. Personally I prefer a "hard" underlay - the green cardboard stuff or preferably https://www.flooringsupplies.co.uk/product/50/quickstep_thermolevel_underlay. (and Quickstep laminate - not the cheapest but excellent quality) I find some thicker foam underlays a little soft and with a thinner laminate you get too much "give".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back