skirting boards: do most people do satin? or gloss?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've started using satinwood but am thinking maybe I should have gone with gloss?

What do most people use? Is high gloss on the skirting boards a bit much, or does it look nice?

Sponsored Links
I design commercial interiors and ALWAYS specify satin for everything.
It is more forgiving than gloss and less tricky to finish neatly. Also, gloss looks quite harsh, particularly in your home where you would probably want a softer feeling from the decor.
Go for satinwood, you'll be pleaseed. And try a colour, a warm mushroom colour or something - but any drap tone works well, olive greens, grey blues, brown-reds. White skirtings are dull and cold. If you don't like it you can always paint it out!

Sponsored Links
I design commercial interiors and ALWAYS specify satin for everything.
It is more forgiving than gloss and less tricky to finish neatly. Also, gloss looks quite harsh, particularly in your home where you would probably want a softer feeling from the decor.
Go for satinwood, you'll be pleaseed. And try a colour, a warm mushroom colour or something - but any drap tone works well, olive greens, grey blues, brown-reds. White skirtings are dull and cold. If you don't like it you can always paint it out!

And satinwood or, my preference, eggshell finish lends itself better to matt finished walls.

Nothing worse than seeing a horrible stark white shiney dado rail running through a matt wall IMO

But at the end of the day..its your house...your choice, you dont need to be concerning yourself with what everyone esle has...go for what you think looks best.

To me, gloss is the emulsion version of silk, its bl00dy awful, yes, it is slightly more hardwearing, and you can clean it better (so I read somewhere) :rolleyes: , but satin, or eggshell to my mind is a lot more classier, specially if you have nice flat matt walls.

Leave the gloss to the seniors, and the asian communities, as the majority tend to favour high gloss, and even love gloss varnish. :eek:

Amazing isn't it how everybody has gone over to satin? We started using this years ago when we realised that it doesn't show blemishes and brush marks as badly as gloss. Also as others have said above it looks really smart in some colours.

I'm even thinking of painting my Landy in satin! I reckon it's going to be the next fashion in the motor industry as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back