Skirting boards meeting at obtuse angle

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fixing skirting boards - making the standard corner joints where the corners are (approx.!) 90 degrees: i.e. 45 degree mitres on externals and scibed & butted joints on the internals. My question is: what kind of joint should I make on an internal corner of around 135 degrees? Since it's internal, you might expect to do it by scribing & butting; however it would be very hard to cut the scribed board with a coping saw, given that so much of it would be in contact with he other one, so I'd be making a much thicker cut than usual. (That's not very clear I know, but if you draw a 135 degree angle I think you'll see what I mean.) So I'm tempted to just cut two 67.5 degree mitres; but that's probably as likley eventually to open up as a mitred internal 90 degree corner would be - not as far, or course, but even so - and the corner is a very visible one. Any ideas? Maybe there's a special technique I don't know for making a scribed cut at that angle?

Sponsored Links
No its still fine to scribe the joint. All you have to do is cut the scribe back at a greater angle to ensure that the area that you have cut out/scribed does not come into contact with the profile of the skirting that it is to meet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back