Skirting Boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

i have a straight through living/dining room. i am having vinyl in the back on top of 3mm ply but carpet on 11mm underlay in the front. i am also renewing my skirtings, my problem is that in the back they will be fitted ontop of the ply/vinyl but in the front room is straight throug. is it feasible to have a small gap between floor and skirting in the front.

tia

Ian

Sponsored Links
unless its a floating floor [laminate for example]the skirting always goes down before the flooring and the floor finnish goes up to the skirting

Thanks big all,
its karndean, i have fitted it this way in my cloakroom and it looks pretty good, but obviously the cloakroom is one floor covering, my other room is half karndean/half carpet but i want all the skiritings the same height as they run along one length of a wall so would look odd. so was wondering if the carpet fitter could took the carpet into the small gap under the skirting board and would it look neat?
thanks

slightly confused here :D :D

has the skirting or floor been laid !!!!!

if your saying the the karndean has been layed but not the carpet and you want to fix the skirting now on top of the kardean before the carpet!!!

carpet will cover about a 6mm gap no probs

another way is to take it out the bottom of the higher side
say you have a 5mm step feather from 5mm back to nought in around 15 inches you may of course have to hold the skirting tight down untill fixed

Sponsored Links
hi big all
sorry probably not explaining meself proper!!!

i have taken all the skirting boards off to replace them with taller ones. i haven't plyboarded or laid any flooring as of yet. i have laid it in another room, plyboard, karndean, then skirting, i would like to do the same in the dining room, lay ply, karndean, then skirting, then get the carpets fitted in the front room. the skirting will have a gap under it as it will run continious along the length of the room, which has karndean and carpete so i was wondering if the carpet will cover the gap under the skirting, the carpet going down is a 80/20 berber i have thought about feathering but was just trying to be a little lazy. the ply is 6mm, and then the karndean so the gap could possibly be 8mm or so.

thanks

Ian

well as i say if you" notch" out youll cover the gap or push the skirting gently down the gap will be down to around half in about 1m
carpet grips have got to be around 5mm on there own!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back