Skirting Challenge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I need to install some new skirting in a utility in a house I am doing up. I have a challenge where the walls up to the back and garage access doors are thinner than my skirting. How should I proceed please?

My initial thought was to plane the skirting to the required thickness but not sure on the mitre/join...

Any help appreciated.

Chris

Attachments

• BE741378-568A-47CA-9B13-BB17182DDACF.jpeg
    BE741378-568A-47CA-9B13-BB17182DDACF.jpeg
    273 KB · Views: 97
Sponsored Links
If it's a painted finish I'd certainly consider planing out the back of the skirting (depending on style) to get a thinner skirting where it runs up to the door frame. Getting a good mitre can be a bit of a faff. Possibly the easiest way is to mitre the thinned stuff first (but cut over length an inch or so), flip it round so that the mitre is up against the door frame and mark the length by is then cut to length and offered in and used to mark the length of the full thickness stuff. When installed this will leave a small triangular gap at the back of the mitre (next to the plaster) which can just be filled. A bit quick and dirty, I know, but it works

Another option is to fit a plinth block with a chamfer on it to allow the transisiton between thick skirting and thin door frame. Or just cut out some of the plaster(board) from the base of the wall, enough to fit the skirting in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back