Sky plus issues

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any sky engineers on here or somebody with knowledge with sky plus...here is my issues..bbc 1,bbc2,itv1,itv2 and channel 5 ...also these on hd will work ok then the picture willl break up and go no sattelite signal with a code of 25...power down/power up and its ok for a while then does it again, I have taken out of input 2 and then all the channels above work fine but I am unable to record any other channels....would this be a sky problem or a sky box problem...if a box problem can get one and replace myself

Sponsored Links
You have two inputs from the dish to the box. If what you wrote was really what you meant then it sounds like one of those inputs is causing trouble. What it sounds like you have done is disconnect one wire from the dish feed and that's now okay but you have lost the ability to record one channel while watching another.

If that sums it up, then you could try a little more fault finding to see if it's a box or cable or LNB fault.

[Safety: make sure you switch off the box at the mains before swapping cables.]

Start off checking the connections. Are the plugs loose. Are there any strands of the braid touching the centre conductor. Do you see any evidence of splits or chaffing on the cable or signs of water in the wire at the box end.

Now, with the one good connection to the box, tTry it in each of the two sockets. If all good then chances of a box fault are greatly diminished.

Next, disconnect the good cable and connect the bad one. Try in both sockets. If you're getting problems now then it's highly likely to be a cable or LNB fault.

Next, find out which cable is which from the LNB to the box. Connect the good cable only. Go out to the dish. Remove one cable and then power up. If you have signal then put some tape on both ends to mark it. If no signal then mark the other cable at the LNB end.

Now connect both cables at the box end but only one at the LNB. Try the "bad" cable in the LNB socket where the good one was connected. If all good then the cable is probably fine. It's likely an LNB fault. If still bad then it's possibly a cable issue. Confirm by connecting the "good" cable to what used to be the bad cables LNB socket. If it's an LNB fault then you'll get signal problems from that LNB socket regardless of which cable is connected.

If it's a cable issue then you need to replace the cable. Sky will do this for you if the install is less than 12 months old or you have their insurance. If out of warranty then buy good quality coax and some cable clips and set to with pincers, hammer and ladders.

If the issue is the LNB then buy a replacement. Google for fitting instructions. Use your camera to take some sharp focussed photos to show exactly how the old LNB was aligned and how it is mounted to the dish. There are three types of LNB mounting bracket depending on the age of your system. Try to order the one that matches what you have.

If the LNB and cable both check out fine, then try a planner rebuild and a forced firmware update on the box before going further.

Replacement boxes are available new or used. Remember though that your old recordings reside in the box, and without a live Sky connection with the viewing card paired to the box then they won't be watchable. View then before you do a box swap.

I know customers of mine who have raised hell with Sky over a faulty box and been offered a replacement for around £50 as a self fit. There are others who threatened to cancel Sky and Sky called their bluff.

Sponsored Links
Guys, massive thanks for your help...just a update my brother in law switched to virgin so I have borrowed his box...had to configure with card and it and it has been ok for the last 2 hrs plus,,so its looking as though its the box but as it is intermittent I will give a couple of days...cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back